August 22, 2019, 05:41:45 PM

Author Topic: Shoujo manga recommendations  (Read 589167 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Shoujo manga recommendations
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
I know I might end up talking to myself but I wanted to try launching a new topic.  :cheesy:

A few years ago, I was reading mainly shoujo manga, primarily as scanlations although I also bought a lot of manga each month. Then my taste gradually changed and I shifted to josei and more mature (not in the "sexually explicit" sense) series, which incidently considerably reduced my reading list. Nowadays, it's not so often that I think "this series is good!" about a typical shoujo.

For instance, one series that I was quite surprised to like is Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru, by Aoki Kotomi. It's not the best series that I've ever read but I want to know where the characters will end up at the end of their journey. The story is also easy to follow. Even if the chapters are not released particularly often, it's easy to recall where the last chapter ended up.

So, dear SH readers and staff,  I was wondering about your opinion on this, particularly if, like me, you're technically too old to read shoujo manga. Do you read shoujo? Is there a series that you're currently reading (or recently finished) that you would like to recommend?

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

badzphoto

• Staff
    • Proofreader
Re: Shoujo manga recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:29 AM »
I read shojo. I'm curious about "Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru" which is available in French, but the number of volume is a bit intimidating.
Here are a few titles that I'm current following:
"Natsume's book of Friends" slice of life story of friendship - it can be slow, but I like the slow pace.
"Skip Beat!" because it's addictive :)
My Love Story, Takeo is so cool and the friendship between Takeo and Suna ...
My Little Monster by Robico
"Wolf Girl and Black Prince" - I like Erika more and more each volume.
Yona Princesse de l'aude by Mizuho Kusanagi - my favorite author
eta: Kimi ni todoke - a bit slow but I do like the characters.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:58:23 AM by badzphoto »

anastella606

• Leecher
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
Yeah I don't often read shoujo anymore...mostly josei. I still come across ones now and then that make me all nostalgic about high school haha. Strobe Edge is one of them, which is funny because I really disliked it at the beginning and it took me a while to get into it, but I ended up enjoying it (surprisingly).
Some other shoujo works I really like are:
Cat Street
Matsumoto Tomo's works
Suzuki Julietta's works
Sukitte Iwaseru Houhou by Nagata Masami (this is refreshing because the heroine isnt the typical shoujo character)
Actually now that I think about it, I do read quite a bit of shoujo...
I love all your selections badzphoto! especially Natsume's Book of Friends. Haven't heard of Wolf Girl and Black Prince though. Haven't heard of Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru either, but I'll check them out!

anastella606

• Leecher
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »
Wait actually I do know Wolf Girl and Black Prince...lol. I didn't recognize the English translation. It's funny that I recognize the Japanese title but I never bothered to check what it actually means!

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:34:46 AM »
Over the years, I tried reading practically all of the series the both of you mentioned. :D However, in most cases, I gave up after a while because the series was getting too long to my taste. I get impatient very easily so in order to satisfy me, long series must be very good. It's a matter of taste though so I will focus on the series I did like instead.   :cheesy:

Cat Street is definitely a must-read. It is a classic coming of age story, which is always interesting to read when it is well done. I got attached to the characters and I appreciated the fact that the series was not too drawn out. It preserved its impact. I also enjoyed watching the drama that was adapted from the manga.

Skip Beat!, is a favourite of mine too. Who doesn't read this series lol. It has been going on for years. In my eyes, it is the archetype of the never ending shoujo. It is kind of annoying in a way but it is addictive, so it works. When the series ends, I will miss it.

My love story / Ore Monogatari is hilarious. I love it too. I thought the first volume was particularly good.

I'm also a huge fan of Koi to Gunkan, by our beloved Nishi Keiko. I really like how the series can be read on two different levels.

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:06:07 AM »
Don't hurt me... but I hardly read shoujo...  :eto:

But I just wanted to say that this thread's great for me since I can start picking up lots of series that I passed up.
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

badzphoto

• Staff
    • Proofreader
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:05:39 AM »
@ anastella606, I read "Cat Street" and really liked it. I'm hoping the newer title of hers is available in French one of these days.
"Koi to Gunkan" is on my to be read list.
I just finished reading #4 of Gokusen by Kozueko Morimoto, MU lists it as josei, but it is published in french as seinen. It's quite good.

jyu viole grace

• Staff
  • Comrade
    • Editor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
I do read shoujo a lot since it's a good way to pass time..I'll mention some of my favourite ones(I'm skipping skip beat since it is an obvio)..and i'm attaching a file with the ones which i've enjoyed(since I don't want to crowd this post)
pinocchio (it has a prequel 'one winter')
koukou debut(a typical shoujo..very predictable..but it is one of the better ones)
basara(one of my fav manga overall..though I guess this may come into josei..since the manga deals with a lot of serious topics also. but it is tagged as shoujo. also the art may get time getting used to.but give it a try)
relife
namaikizakari(another typical shoujo..but i enjoy this one as I love the main characters)
last game(another typical shoujo..but it is quite enjoyable..the main girl is dense for an abnormally long time..but in shoujo this has my favourite confession scene..)
after school nightmare
love in the mask(if you hate hwang mi ri or han yu rang style then you won't like it..the plot is interesting..I think if the same plot was carried out ny a skilled author this could have turned into a masterpiece)
mars(i consider this a josei but it is tagged as shoujo..a must read)
joou no hana
beast master
hana yori dango(it is the inspiration of many cliches in today's shoujo..this may get annoying at times but I still enjoyed it..and I liked the main couple..)
hirunaka no ryuusei(I loved it simply for its non cliched ending..a new for shoujo..)
gakuen alice (the only bother is the age group of the protagonists..)
blind marchen (i love it..still hoping for someone to scanlate the last few chapters..)
hatenkou yuugi(again on the shoujo-josei borderline..but I love this one)
my beautiful world
colette wa shinu kotu ni shita
suki tte ii na yo
akatsuki no yona
soredemo sekai wa utsukushii
toshokan sensou: love and war
tsubasa reservoir chronicles

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:06:08 PM by jyuu viole grace »

Megan

• Staff
    • Proofreader & Cleaner
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:45:51 AM »
Speaking of shoujo manga, I've restarted Hana Yori Dango the other day and I forgot how confused I am by it... The anime is super nostalgic but I hate how unnecessarily abusive it is? Shoujo manga can take things way too far sometimes but Hana Yori Dango seems to get the extra distance for some reason. Tsukasa's behavior is reproachable in this series but I still root for them (Tsukasa & Tsukushi) as a couple? Maybe I like it so much because it makes me confused lol.

Either way I kinda love this board since I like shoujo just as much as josei. It's a very innocent genre that can have some real depth when explored properly.

Kiyoku Yawaku
10b: Cleaning

And
ch 27: Prepping

Ane no Kekkon
ch 22: Prepping
ch 23: Prepping
ch 24: Prepping

jyu viole grace

• Staff
  • Comrade
    • Editor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 07:58:52 AM »
Oh..I never saw the whole of the anime..only half of it..someday i'll complete it(though I had heard from someone the anime ending is different from the manga)..yeah there quite some extreme parts in it..one really disturbing extreme part was when doumyoji molested tsukushi (like seriously!!!)..but i still like that couple (damn -_-)..their moments together were cute..but this manga still has annoying parts..
yeah...even I enjoy shoujo..but nowadays it is so difficult to find a good not overly cliched shoujo(but I still end up reading everything -_- )..while preparing the shoujo list here I started reading basara again..got nostalgic..(though I wish it had a good anime, and a complete one)..

Megan

• Staff
    • Proofreader & Cleaner
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
The anime does end differently than the manga but I wasn't upset with the ending. I think they did a good job with what they had. My favorite part of the anime might honestly be the opening song. It's unbelievable good!

Your shoujo list is pretty good! I also like Joou no Hana. OtakuMole.ch has a lot of the chapters and someone's working on catching up with translations. I have a huge list of shoujo I love but I'm not home to post some... But I agree with you about basically reading anything regardless of tropes and cliches. Same struggle! Nanoka no Kare is something I'm obsessed with that runs with all the tropes it can.
Kiyoku Yawaku

And

Ane no Kekkon

jyu viole grace

• Staff
  • Comrade
    • Editor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 03:59:19 PM »
Opening song is fine. I am more obsessed with the first ending. i have heard it countless number of times...
Do post your list whenever you can. Otakumole is a god sent(raff rocks). but there are 2-3 missing chapters for joou no hana on otakumole, tht is why I was waiting for the scanlations to atleast catch up till the missing chapters.
oh I both love and hate nanoka no kare. It is kind of amusing to see how extreme mood swings the characters have. So I like it because it is intriguing, but at the same time it is so damn dramatic, and love literally drives the characters crazy!! :huh:  I'm still catching up on it on otakumole(again inspite of everything I haven't dropped it).

Megan

• Staff
    • Proofreader & Cleaner
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 12:17:51 AM »
Some shoujo I'm fond of:
14 Sai No Koi
Biyaku Cafe
Boku No Hatsukoi Wo Kimi Ni Sasagu
Gakuen Ouji (shoujo tropes done right, imo)
Kimi wa Suki no Daimeishi & Pin to Kona (all of Shimaki Ako's works actually)
Kurobara Alice
Otoyomegatari (not shoujo but has some shoujo-like elements)
Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
Shikabane Cherry (I'm very fond of the art)
Skip Beat
Sunadokei --> good example of what I meant by shoujo having real depth and proper exploration
Yumemiro Koto
Your list has a ton of manga I also enjoy.  I'm gonna try some of the ones I haven't read yet. Blind Maerchen looks like something I'd really like. 
Kiyoku Yawaku

And

Ane no Kekkon

jyu viole grace

• Staff
  • Comrade
    • Editor
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
14 sai no kai and otoyomegatari I had started but somehow I stopped reading it. I will continue them again when possible.
I loved boku no hatsukoi...I read it recently and I did enjoy it a lot!I also love biyaku cafe(though I think it should be josei because it is smut). I also like gakuen ouji(I have a major second lead syndrome in this one..though i know my ship will sink  :wahhh: )...Most of the other works you mentioned are on my bookmark(so many..god knows when I'll catch up!)
sunadokei I had on my extended list(though this also i feel has more of a josei tone to it)..though I still haven't read the last volume(it is on my buying list along with library wars..whenever i can next buy manga).
Oh I forgot to mention 3 other shoujo mangas which I love
Shishunki bitter change
kore wa koi no hanashi  (I'm still catching up on it. The age gap & the age of the girl seemed revolting at first, but the author has done a beautiful job, so i soon fell in love with the manga)
okobore hime to entaku no kishi

Megan

• Staff
    • Proofreader & Cleaner
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »
Don't know who reads this thread but I just had to post: I'm really in love with Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido right now! It's such a cute/simple/unique series that I don't see get any attention.

Highly recommend if you're looking for a new shoujo to start!

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/slow-motion-wo-mou-ichido-r20061
Kiyoku Yawaku

And

Ane no Kekkon