May 26, 2019, 11:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Food  (Read 580661 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Food
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:40:42 AM »
Since the Desserts topic seems to have encountered some success, let's expand with a more general food / drinks topic. If you want to share a recipe, a culinary discovery with us, you can do it here. :kekeke:

I'll begin: a few years ago, I went on a trip to Malta (very nice country by the way) and there, I had the chance to eat some Pastizzi, delicious, highly addictive cheesy (salted) pastries traditionnally made with ricotta. They're very simple but I never encountered anything similar, with the same taste, outside of Malta. However, fortunately, they're very easy to make, it just takes a bit of practive to learn how to fold them properly.
To tell the truth, I had completely forgotten about them until a few months ago, when I had a reminiscence of tasting  delicious pastizzi for the first time, and I immediately went to look for a recipe.  :cheesy:

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
Oooh, these pastizzi that you speak of sound phenomenal!! We have some unused puff pastry in the freezer which I'm sure has been feeling a little neglected of late, so I'll have to stock up on cheese and give them a go! They look fun to make and I'm salivating just imagining that freshly baked cheese aroma!
:grin:
I've recently discovered an interest in Mexican food and am in love!  :aww:
A few weeks ago, I got together with a friend to make chicken enchiladas.. mmmmhm. We were pretty pleased with how they turned out - especially for our first time - and the home-made salsa verde had just the right amount of heat to it and so fresh-tasting! I can't wait to try them again, as well as bean enchiladas which I hear are quite popular in Mexico too. I love tortillas - there's something magical about food which has been compressed to intensify the flavour, like schnitzel and paninis.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:41:35 AM »
I love Mexican food too. I admitedly don't know much about it and can't even manage to remember the name of the dishes, but apart from the taste, I like how convivial they are.

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:51:20 AM »
We eat Mexican food 3 times a week at my workplace. I love the small hole in the wall places that are tucked away and seem just a tad bit shady lol. They make some of the best fish tacos I've ever had...

My new love is Peruvian food. I love the chupe de camaron. It's a very rich chowder like concoction with cheese and egg on top. Also at a local haunt of ours, every time the aji amarillo sauce nearly runs out at my table, I can be found signaling the waitress for more. It's just so good with fresh bread. After we're done eating, and the girl brings our tab, I'd say, "Sorry, can I just have a little more of the aji amarillo?" I bet I'll turn green one day from overeating it.

recipe for aji amarillo
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:54:16 AM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
In the desserts section, I was thinking about food whose hype I didn't understand, and that would be Daikokuya.

Daikokuya is known in LA / Little Tokyo area for being one of the best ramen spots in LA. They always have a really long wait for lunch and dinner. My friends and I went once to check it out, but found it to be just all right. Nothing that blew us away. You see, I'm not really one to appreciate high-brow restuarants, so I don't know whether I was just missing somthing a highly refined palate would be able to detect. I like taco truck tacos just as much as the ramen I got at Daikokuya. Which is to say, it wasn't bad at all, but I wouldn't know it's supposed to be famous ramen. I like oysters microwaved in the oven more. Rather, I liked the tsukemen ramen I had at Tsujiya at Sawtelle more. Maybe I should have tried tsukemen at Daikokuya for comparison.

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »
Ohmahgah, coco! Tsujita's tsukemen is to die for! I love the broth and texture of the noodles. But what I live on during the wintertime when my achey bones won't allow me to trek out to the concrete jungles of LA is my sister's home-made pork tonkotsu broth. It takes her two days to make a big pot which we freeze-pack into single servings. If you know of a place that serves amazing unidon, let me know. I've recently acquired a taste of uni, and I've been obsessively yelping eateries in LA.
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:48:06 PM »
Aaah, that makes me miss my mother's cooking! I don't have (or take) the time to really cook but in winter, eating these type of dishes instantly makes me feel better. But that's common among students. The simple fact that I regularly use the stove or the oven instead of just the micro-wave made me known as "someone who cooks all the time" among my housemates.  :wahaha:

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »
Speaking of Japanese food, I made some amazing mushroom nabe today. We're having a cold spell here and I wanted to make something nourishing and wintery before the hot weather settles in, and the hot pot really hit the spot!  :cheesy:

Home-made broth with four types of mushrooms and some bright asian greens, mmmmmhmm. Oishii! I'm such a perfectionist with the food that I'm rarely satisfied with my own cooking, but I think this recipe is a keeper.  :eto:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »
Oooh... :drooly:
I can't cook japanese food at all. I'm having fajitas tonight. I had a craving for mexican food.

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »
Sorry Hats, I can't help you too much on the unidon part. good luck!!
I'm terrible at making soup, even though I think it's a knack that's not supposed to be difficult according to Asian homecooking intuitions.  :wahhh: I usually stick a whole bunch of bones in a pot or slowcooker and try to boil/cook it for long enough for the flavor to be drawn out (after blanching it sometimes even, which my mama doesn't even bother to do) but is it supposed to take forever?? It just never develops a real flavor body for me! Once I left the bones in the slowcooker long enough that the soup (to which I eventually added veggies) got all crusted and burnt on the top. Maybe I'm not using enough bones.. orz Anyway I have respect for your tonkotsu-making sister.

Uriel, share your recipe? :D
When my family does hotpot, we just use plain water, sometimes whatever soup or stock is at hand, and dump whatever ingredients we have into it until it develops its own flavor from the boiled ingredients.  :umm:

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
I'm still at a low enough level of cooking skill that I  often rely on existing recipes, especially with dishes I'm not terribly familiar with, though I'm learning to trust my instinct more as I mature, rather than blindly following instructions.  :umm:

I'm a huge fan of japanese cuisine and there is such a plethora of recipes available it can be a little difficult to find the outstanding ones, but this is definitely one of my all-time favourites!  :ohh:

I made it without noodles or tofu and used a mix of fresh and dried mushrooms (the latter I soaked in hot water to rehydrate them and added a few tablespoons of the soaking liquid into the broth) and chucked in a mix of chopped asian greens. I made it with home-made dashi, but I'm sure the powdered dashi you can find in asian groceries would suffice too! Itadakimasu!

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
Mmm. Thanks for sharing! I just need Napa cabbage for this. Although probably some fresh mushrooms too. I just have dry mushrooms like the ones you used.