August 22, 2019, 06:15:17 PM

Author Topic: Favorite desserts  (Read 683563 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Re: Favorite desserts
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »
I looove pumpkin, but there's not a tradition here in Australia of making it into dessert, so pumpkin pie is unexplored territory for me! When I make pumpkin soup, though, I make it with butternut pumpkin and it turns out so beautifully sweet and creamy.. maybe you could try a similar variety, Mine?

Yup, that's what I was thinking of doing. Butternut squash indeed tastes delicious in soups so in pies, it can't taste bad neither..  :butsubutsu:

A few weeks ago I made macarons with my baking buddy! They were awfully pretty but I found myself a little underwhelmed. I've had them a few times before, but every time I expect them to be amazing.. and they're not. Don't get me wrong, they're nice, and I love the contrast of the crunch of the shells and silkiness of the buttercream or ganache, but I fail to understand why they became such a big trend!

Yeah, I agree with you. Macarons are very beautiful, very colourful, but the taste is far from exceptional. I think part of the appeal  is precisely the visual aspect, and there's also the format (small, quick and easy to eat), the fact that since they're small, people probably feel less guilty about eating them, and macarons probably primarily appeal to people who care about that. Finally, and more importantly, I think macarons have this sophisticated image. I mean, when I see or hear this word, I think of Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette" movie and of Ladurée.  :wahaha:

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

cocoyam

• Comrade
Re: Favorite desserts
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:24 AM »
I agree that macaroons are not very tasty, but I can understand the hype. First, they are delicate little things and are seen as fancy. Maybe they are hard to make well? But secondly, I believe it's all about the texture. A good macaroon should be soft and densely chewy (but light, is that a contradiction?) with a thin crispy layer on the outside. Mmm. It all goes back to the idea of refinement and a delicate treat. I've had the privilege of having one or two good macaroons at my school which serves fancy desserts at commencement, so I understand it now--would never have before.