September 20, 2019, 05:43:47 AM

Author Topic: Anime or manga that influenced you as a person  (Read 600363 times)

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
Anime or manga that influenced you as a person
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »
We're all inadvertently influenced by the anime and manga we watch and read, so which would you count amongst those that made an impact on your life?

Fruits Basket was one of the first anime series I ever watched, and it will always have a special place in my heart. Not only did it coax me into exploring and researching Japanese culture and, later on, all things "Nippon", but the main protagonist Tohru made such an enormous impression on me that it inspired me to become a better, sunnier person.

I was also quite moved by Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan - what an incredible story (I bawled when finished reading it), raw but undeniably life-affirming. It definitely made me re-think how I interact with people and reminded me of just how precious life is.

Most recently, Uta Koi left me feeling refreshed.. and made me want to work on my relationship with the Mr. - injecting it with a bit of fun and silliness.

:lalalala:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Re: Anime or manga that influenced you as a person
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
Umm, the first two series I read, Nana and Fruits Basket definitely had a huge influence on me since they led me to start reading manga. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have started reading scanlations neither and wouldn't be part of Stiletto Heels today. Besides, they're very good series. Although Fruits Basket is technically the first series I read, of the two, the one which marked me the most is without a doubt Nana. I still haven't gotten over its brutal stop.

But the series that influenced me the most is probably Paradise Kiss. I think I read it at the right time, when I was in my last years of high school, and it stayed with me. It's a good coming-of-age story, with a unique style and unforgettable characters that I would have enjoyed regardless, but I could recognize myself in the heroine's struggles and as a result, it moved me deeply. It didn't bring me any solutions but every time I read this series, I would feel (and still do) less lonely, would be reminded that I wasn't the only one going through similar problems, otherwise Ai Yazawa wouldn't have written Paradise Kiss, and would be urged to stop feeling sorry for myself.

Compared to Paradise Kiss, all the other series' influence can seem anecdotal. Some series were aesthetic shocks though, and even if it's difficult to measure exactly how that influenced me, I believe that's important: Honey & Clover, Blade of the immortal (Mugen no juunin), Red blinds the foolish (Oroka-mono wa Aka o Kirau), House of Five leaves (Saraiya Goyou), Kyūso wa Chiizu no Yume o Miru and its sequel are those that come to my mind.

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:07:38 AM »
Basically everything I read influences me in some way or another. It's so hard to pick just a select few.

But I'd have to third Fruits Basket. Honestly wish I could be as “good” as Tohru. Where else can you find such a sweet and simple soul? I'd love a friend like that, one who'd give me the clothes off her back, and you could always be 100% sure she wouldn't talk crap about you afterward, or to sound her trumpet either. Natsuki's Tohru reminded me a lot of Tokiwa Takako's Tamura Nozumi from Kabachitare! who relentlessly spouts her supremely naive motto: "Believe in people!" Even though I'd probably suspect they were slightly off their rocker if I encountered someone like that irl, at least ideally I find there is something magical about a person who has the ability to see the inherent good in others.

Berserk, on the other hand, created a lot of inner turmoil for me. Never has another anime/manga made me feel so utterly devastated. I can visually see myself more than fourteen years ago, filled with abject disgust when the curtains on the last episode of the anime drew to a close.  If that was what the anime could do to me, then imagine how much damage the manga could have done? I only managed to go through a few chapters before calling it quits. What makes it more disturbing is that I see parallels in aspects of Guts and Casca's life happening in all parts of the world today. I guess, rather than influence me, it certainly heightened my sense of of justice.

The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Kawachi Haruka's fumbling, bumbling rom-com romance, Sekine's Love. It's a pretty intense character study into the lives of a few, with characterizations so artfully and adorably drawn out. I don't believe I have ever fallen so hard for a 2D character than with this bespectacled thirty-something year old man. I write as a hobby, but I don't believe I could ever create such a wonderful character as this, and so Sekine has become a sort of impetus on my writing. I want to strive to create a character people can empathize with on the same level.  :blush:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:15:24 AM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
Speaking of Kawachi Haruka, I'm intrigued by the cover of her new release: http://www.yesasia.com/us/bumbougu-waltz/1036589412-0-0-0-zh_CN/info.html

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
I know, I can't wait to read it. I purchased it along with Sekine vol 5 and Natsuyuki Rendezvous Bangaihen.  :ohh:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Oh, then you will be able to tell us what it is about. The cover is so intriguing!  :ohh:

Lilanar

• Nigeru Onna
  • Administrator
    • Editor, Forum Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:41:09 AM »
Pretty please...  :ohh:
Natsuyuki Rendezvous: ch.22-23> typeset
Paradise Without You: ch.1>typesetting ◄ Currently | ch2-3> cleaning
Shinkuu Katakoi Pack: ch.1> cleaning
Nikotama: ch.4-5> Cleaned | ch.6> cleaning
Hakoiri no Musume: ch.2-3> cleaned
Sekine ch.2 v2> cleaning

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
I'll post up pictures and translations. :)

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »
Ohhh, I adored the anime version of Paradise Kiss! The edgy art style, fantastic characters and phenomenal voice acting just drew me into the story so effortlessly..there was so much to love about it. Can you imagine I never realised it was based on a manga? Now I get to relive it again, uwahh!
 :blush:

I'm finding Sekine's Love quite enjoyable too. Haruka is a phenomenal storyteller - I do agree about the loveability of Sekine and the grand-daughter is just as wonderful. How does one make a story centered on knitting so readable and acutely engaging? I can't wait for more!!
 :wahhh:

Hats - I'm looking forward to hearing about Bumbougu Waltz!! What do you think of it so far? I'd also love to read some of your writing, do you have any uploaded somewhere?

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
Oh, you haven't read Paradise Kiss? I heartily recommend it then!  :lalalala: Yazawa's style is so unique even the best anime can reproduce it perfectly (I miss her so much T_T). And if I remember right, the US editor is Vertical so the quality should be good.

Also, Hats, I agree with Uriel. Would you mind sharing some of your writing or is it private? I'm not surprised to learn that you write after having read your posts on the website for so long. I remember thinking many times that you should try writing stories  :headbite:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:52:06 PM by Minelauva »

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
Ohh, I'll definitely check out the manga version now, I'm beyond excited to read it! I can't wait to get to know Caroline and George and the whole gang from a slightly different perspective! 
:ohh:

The SH team has impeccable taste in manga, actually! Most recently, I got my teeth into Six Half at your bidding and I found myself falling for it hook, line and sinker!
:flora4u:

I think the first SH scanlation I read was & by Okazaki Mari.. it was so evocative and dreamy.. page after page of beautiful art, phenomenal panel work, characters that left me wanting more and more. It was the ultimate introduction to the Josei genre and I trawled every corner of the internet searching for another story and another and another.. Can you tell I'm a loyal fan now? *happy sigh*

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:55:43 PM »
I especially love Ai Yazawa works. Paradise Kiss was awesome read (I never saw anime version, maybe someday). Nana, I was totally obsessed with that series and was devastated to find out it will never be completed. Like what Minelauva said, it was a brutal stop. And Gokinjo Monogatari was pretty good. So I definitely say, Ai Yazawa was one of those factors that influenced me into reading manga.

Ultimately, I have to say the most influential manga that I ever read and made me become a hopeless addict to "Manga World" is Please Save My Earth by Hiwatari Saki. My sister actually introduced me to that series and it stuck on me all those years, it showed that it had an impact on me. To me, it was a great read with unique storyline, good characters and interesting art.  :takemenot:

Of course there are countless great mangas out there, including Fruits Basket. I won't bore you with all details on which mangas I enjoyed over those years. I will definitely check out other mangas that you all mentioned in this topic.
Updated: Sept 3, 2019

In Progress : [Cleaning]

Suppli 13: cleaned, RDs
Suppli 14: cleaned, RDs
Suppli 15: 5/35
Haikoiri 4: cleaned, RDs
Haikoiri 5: 10/60
Nina My Love 21: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 3: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 4: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 5: 33/34
Kiyoku 5a: 50/51
Kiyoku 5b: cleaned, RDs

Typesetting:
Suppli 2: 0/32

anastella606

• Leecher
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:50 AM »
Yeah all of Yazawa Ai's works influenced me in some way. The first work of hers I read was Paradise Kiss and I fell in love with it. Everything was so beautiful and all the characters were so interesting but flawed somehow, which made them more relateable. After that I read Nana and Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai. Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai doesnt seem as popular, but I totally related to the high school bonding.
Honey and Clover did the same thing Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai did for me, but college style (which is nice cause I'm now in college.)
REAL and Vagabond by Takahiko Inoue also changed me. REAL hit me hard. It's hopeful but it's also realistic, which means that the usual happy ending might not happen for all the characters. It really changed the way I thought about things, and it made me appreciate my life and what I do a lot more. The artwork is also fantastic. You can read so many feelings from just one character's expression.

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
I've started reading Nana after hearing so many wonderful things about it and it's wonderful so far.. Yazawa Ai's writing is perfect in so many ways...  I can't wait to see how the story will develop!
:drooly:

Anastella, I've never read any works by Takahiko Inoue before but I looked over the blurbs and they look fascinating. I'll have to give them a go, thank you for the recommendation! 
:fishing:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 03:20:20 AM »
Uriel, I kind of envy you. Getting to discover Nana for the first time...  :puppyeye: