April 18, 2019, 12:41:19 PM

Author Topic: Anime or manga that influenced you as a person  (Read 598323 times)

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
Re: Anime or manga that influenced you as a person
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »
Uriel, I kind of envy you. Getting to discover Nana for the first time...  :puppyeye:

I'm 5 chapters in and am adoring every. single. page. How did I not come across Nana sooner??  :huh:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 01:40:43 AM »
Haha. That's what I was wondering as well. ;D
Until it went on hiatus, it was extremely popular. When I began reading shoujo manga as a teenager, I was told: "You definitely have to read Nana and Fruits Basket". And that's what I read or heard basically everywhere when it came to shoujo manga. It was the same in the US or in the scanlation community. But things may be different in Australia, or maybe you weren't reading shoujo at the time. Ever since the author went on hiatus, media have naturally stopped talking about her and her works, since she hasn't published anything new. I'm not holding my breath but I hope she will come back. She is so talented it would be a shame if she were to stop her career here. Although Nana would be a nice legacy, even incomplete.
However, maybe that's because I'm French and not Japanese, and it's certainly due in part to my age and own experience with manga, but I feel like ever since Nana stopped and Fruits Basket ended, no shoujo manga has had the reputation, popularity and ambition of these series. They were really iconic, at least in France. That's probably why most readers talk about Nana with such nostalgia. Not only is it a genuinely good work, but it hasn't really been replaced. When Skip Beat! ends, I will feel like we have reached the end of an era. And I will feel old.  :umm:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:43:14 AM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh the feels! Yazawa-san is absolute maestro. She has me wrapped around her little finger.. pulling me to and fro and tugging ever so strongly at my heartstrings. She makes her genius storycrafting seem so natural and easy and it just leaves me asking "How? How? How?". Such vibrant, multi-faceted characters who become like friends to you and draw you into the drama of their lives.. It gets better and better with every chapter  :kissoboom:

I'm not really sure why I took so long to get to Nana, maybe because I was never a big participant in the manga community? I was a bit of a lone ranger reader, none of my friends are really into manga and I never came across any forums I was burning to join. But I'm happy to have found my place here now  :smiley:

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »
But when you get to the part Yazawa went on indefinite hiatus for NANA..  :wahhh:

She is definitely the queen of josei, for sure.

I love josei. I love all these projects. I hardly read any seinen. But the manga that have moved me the most are pieces of seinen by Inio Asano. I'mma c/p what I wrote on surasplace since it's been some time and I can't relate my impressions of it that well any more.

I never wanted to pick up Solanin although I put it on my to-do list for a while because it's hard for me to get into slice of life pacing, which is what the summary sounded like. But by this time I finally felt I could relate to the plot synopsis as someone who is about to enter her last year in college and face similar issues ;^; It deals with some 20 year olds who have to face becoming adults and and the monotonous identity-eroding situation of entering the anonymous workforce of Japan. At times the characters are actually cute or funny, and there is an uplifting conclusion. All the same, certain crafted moments were really poignant understated revelations, although I cannot describe them as they would be spoilers. For me, I thought of them like layers: there are a few flashbacks or symbolic events in the two volumes and they reveal new understandings that weave into the larger story. And some of those moments really touched me.

As I was reading it I got the inkling that the author must have also done Oyasumi Punpun and other seinen works that I have read based on the feeling it gave me, and I was right. I read Oyasumi Punpun during a very dark and depressed period of my life and I could entirely relate to its gritty, twisted portrayal of reality and life. It seemed twistedly true to what people experience when they are at the bottom of a pit. I thought the author himself must be a crazily depressed individual. Oyasumi Punpun walks you through the childhood and adolescence of a young boy(?) who lives with his single mother and kind-intentioned but fallible uncle. I say boy, but while the rest of the characters are depicted as humans, he and his family are drawn as bird-creatures of some sort, and it ironically helps to convey their feelings of abjectness and human emotions. And God is featured as well. Asano draws God in Punpun too, until God goes away.
I probably cried multiple times nearly each chapter and I had to put it down when I was nearing the end of the current releases because I could not take how close to home it hit for me. It reminded me so much of my circumstances at that time, it physically hurt too much to continue, despite thinking that it was the greatest and most poignant masterpiece I had ever read.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:57:30 PM by cocoyam »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »
Inio Asano's works get a lot of praise but it's not my thing. I tried reading several of his series and was repelled quite strongly. I found them particularly depressing and wasn't hooked by his writing / drawings. However, given my strong reaction, I'm not surprised some readers have an equally strong but positive reaction.

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

jyu viole grace

• Staff
  • Comrade
    • Editor
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »
I think most of you have mentioned most of the moving great mangas...The first manga that I read was 'gakuen alice'..it introduced me to manga and got me hooked..I don't personally know anyone who reads manga..and in my country you can only buy manga online..I remember I had been delaying reading fruits basket for so long since the summary seemed kind of stupid(and I didn't know about its popularity)..one day I just started reading it and i'm glad I did..tohru is really very adorable..and I really loved the backstories of all the characters..I also think that all the mangas which I read have a profound effect on me..like the ending of anime code geass had me depressed for 3 days(the only work other than nana to have a long lasting effect on me)..watashitachi no shiawase ne jikan made me quite emotional and rethink about a lot of things..another manga which still has me personally invested a lot is '7 seeds'..there are so many characters with so many different backstories and how all of them evolve as people in such dreary circumstances..7seeds will always be one of my fav manga..oh then Ilkwon Ha's works are also amazing..they hit you right in the spot..like he(?) writes about most absurd seeming plots but behind the absurdity turns out very deep profound messages( I loved 'annarasumanara'..other than that I've enjoyed 'my heart is beating' and 'god of bath').I think his works are the only ones I've read among webtoons which have such an effect..

Megan

• Staff
    • Proofreader & Cleaner
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:16 AM »
The two mangas for me were Skip Beat and Cheese in the Trap. Skip Beat was sort of what sucked me in so I would say that was pretty influential for me. Cheese in the Trap isn't manga but it introduced me to more mature storytelling and artistic styles outside the norm. I'm still very much in love with both.
Kiyoku Yawaku
10b: Cleaning

And
ch 27: Prepping

Ane no Kekkon
ch 22: Prepping
ch 23: Prepping
ch 24: Prepping

jyu viole grace

• Staff
  • Comrade
    • Editor
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
The two mangas for me were Skip Beat and Cheese in the Trap. Skip Beat was sort of what sucked me in so I would say that was pretty influential for me. Cheese in the Trap isn't manga but it introduced me to more mature storytelling and artistic styles outside the norm. I'm still very much in love with both.

Oh i love both of them...CITT is just kind of unique..and even after catching up to oddsquad's scanlations, I still can't figure Jung out. And also one of the few manga/manhwa live adaptations which is brilliantly done(the korean drama of CITT is pretty good...and the soundtracks are amazing!)