August 20, 2019, 03:00:02 AM

Author Topic: Best/Worst thing that happened today  (Read 809640 times)

badzphoto

• Staff
    • Proofreader
Re: Best/Worst thing that happened today
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »
@Hats, I hope your cat will return soon.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 01:33:03 AM »
I just got back from an amazing trip to Montreal and Ottawa. I especially loved Montreal. My increasing workload, the arrival of fall, rain and short days made me feel depressed. I needed to get away for a few days, get a change of air. I got what I wanted. I feel completely refreshed. I love travelling. Discovering new places, spending hours on the road, feeling like I don't really belong anywhere anymore, sleeping in hostels, in big houses with different people every night and having the feeling I've found a new family at least for the night. I just got back, feeling a bit depressed at the idea of going back to my daily life and found out that the package my parents sent me for my birthday, at the beginning of the month, just arrived. They got me a very beautiful book of French poetry.  :ohh:

Edit: Also, I have two midterms this week. It just never ends.  :wahhh:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:25:03 AM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »
Midterms...!  :umm: Good luck with that. (Or was I supposed to say, "Study hard?") Your parents sound like lovely people though. A book of French poetry is music to my ears.

As for me, I am currently under a lot of stress. I haven't been writing for almost a year. Experiencing severe writer's block. I've just been writing bits and pieces for a script, and haven't gone back to work on the short story collection I've been hacking away at furiously at for the past year. At this rate, I'll never be published.

I am also finding it hard to get into the mood to do scanlations. Why oh why is there so much drama in my life WHYYYYYYYYYY? But I'll try and get this stuff done on time. For the love of pete, I have to get something done! /crawls back to finish a script.
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
A book of French poetry is music to my ears.

My parents know me well.  :cheesy:

Unfortunately, there's not much I can do to help with your writer's block. I hope it will get better if you keep trying. I will be the first to buy your book if you get published.
Tell me if there's something I can do to help scanlation wise. Otherwise, take your time. The projects are not going away.

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
Hats, sorry to hear whatever is going on in your life is causing you some stress. Hope it will get better soon. As for your writing, don't push yourself too hard or worry about it too much. It will come to you when you least expect it. Be patient and go into your "zen place". *grins*  All you can do is keep moving forward and focus on other things.

As for projects, take your time and don't worry about it too much. Like what Minelauva said, we are not going away or the projects are not going away. Take one thing at a time. Take a step back and take a deeeeep breath, you will work on scanlations when you feel like it.

Hope it helps.  :drooly:
Updated: June 25, 2019

In Progress : [Cleaning]

Suppli 13: 44/45
Suppli 14: cleaned, RDs
Suppli 15: 5/35
Haikoiri 4: cleaned, RDs
Haikoiri 5: 8/60
Nina My Love 21: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 3: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 4: 29/39
Love Master X 5: 20/34
Kiyoku 5a: 50/51
Kiyoku 5b: 36/41

Typesetting:
Suppli 2: 0/32

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 12:49:25 AM »
On another note, I'm also experiencing writer's block, but on a school assignment. I'm not inspired by the topic of the essay and don't know how I'm going to manage to write something not too bland. But in this case, having a deadline helps. I've been procrastinating for hours, looking for ideas but now, I have to actually start writing. I have to get this done tonight no matter what!  :wahhh:

Lilanar

• Nigeru Onna
  • Administrator
    • Editor, Forum Organizer
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 07:45:10 AM »
As for me, I am currently under a lot of stress. I haven't been writing for almost a year. Experiencing severe writer's block. I've just been writing bits and pieces for a script, and haven't gone back to work on the short story collection I've been hacking away at furiously at for the past year. At this rate, I'll never be published.

I am also finding it hard to get into the mood to do scanlations. Why oh why is there so much drama in my life WHYYYYYYYYYY? But I'll try and get this stuff done on time. For the love of pete, I have to get something done! /crawls back to finish a script.
Ah, Hats just as Minelauva and SwirlyOwl said, don't worry about the scanlation process. It's supposed to be a hobby or something we do as fun. Take it easy girl.

I wish to read your writings too. I'm usually waiting for your posts on blog and I was really thinking this person has the potential to be a writer, I really wished to see you try it. Now I see you were actually into the job... So very happy to hear... ;D Wish I also get a chance to see it when you're back to your pace and top condition of life.

Don't worry about dramas in life, they're there to burnish our patience and make some fun of us... At least that's how I look at it when I'm not mocked that badly by them in a while. ;D Lately I was thinking the same, since my father had to go to hospital, his only eye that isn't blind got hazy all of sudden. It got us all really shocked and desperate for a day. He got better in 24 hours though and just today someone called us and told a very ugly story of a close relative's family... Made me think to myself, God, please don't get tired of my once in a while blabberings... -.-;;

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: ch.22-23> typeset
Paradise Without You: ch.1>typesetting ◄ Currently | ch2-3> cleaning
Shinkuu Katakoi Pack: ch.1> cleaning
Nikotama: ch.4-5> Cleaned | ch.6> cleaning
Hakoiri no Musume: ch.2-3> cleaned
Sekine ch.2 v2> cleaning

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:33 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Lila. Hope it's not serious. They should check more thoroughly. He could just have tired out his eyes though.

My good news is that I found an unfinished old story I was working on ages ago.  Now I have something worth thinking about. :ohh:
Quote from: Bonfire
PART TWO: MEMORIES
_

Prologue

In our room, we knelt in our underwear.

“We’re supposed to get dressed,” I said. “Dad told us.” I looked over toward the bed. Our mourning attire lay flat on the covers, side by side, like dark bodies ironed out, headless.

“Let’s offer a prayer,” you said.

You had your palms together, your eyes shut. The smooth lids of your eyes trembled slightly. You said - What did you say? Oh, yeah. You said, "I'll never be happy."

You said: "It ends here."
___

Chapter 1: Bonfire

"You got a lighter?" Eve says.

I shake my head.

"Of course not.” She slaps her forehead. "Of course you wouldn't. You're only a kid, and kids shouldn't have lighters anyway." She is propped up against a wall of our room, novel in one hand, and pen in the other. I read the title: Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami. The oscillating fan oscillates. Once in a while, her bangs flutter. A sweat drop zigzags down towards the open button of her blouse. She scratches behind her left ear with her pen.

“’Norwegian Wood’ was a Beatles’ song. Do you know The Beatles?" she says.

I shrug.

“Well, you know what? That's okay. I don't either. But I do know this song. Every time I go to that old record shop…You know, the one downtown? Well, I always ask the old guy to play it for me. He has an actual record player, you know?” She pauses momentarily, eyebrows furrowed, before musing aloud, “Or was it 'A Day in the Life'?”

I scratch my left elbow.

“Anyway John Lennon wrote this song. It's a good song." She starts to hum the tune, her version of “Norwegian Wood”, but gives up half way.

A few seconds later, she places the book down, and rummages through her purse. Out comes a tube of lip-gloss, an unused tampon, and - what is that? - a packet of Marlboro's. A quick tap proclaims it empty. Eve groans and crumples over, head thumping on the tatami mats. Under the oscillations of the fan, her bangs flutter madly, like angry butterflies.

“Shit, I need a smoke."
___

“Let’ blow this joint," she says. “We don't need to take this shit, right, Beat?"

“Yeah," I say. “We don't need to take this shit."

“Don’t teach her to say 'shit'," our Old Man mumbles. The cigarette in his mouth dangles mercilessly like a broken door hinge.

“She isn't listening to you anymore," Eve says. “Right, Beat?"

I shake my head, No. She smiles. Then, turning her attention back to our Old Man, her dark eyes flaring, she says, “We’re leaving."

Our Old Man leans back on the couch. He is shirtless. His right leg is propped up on the coffee table. He is smoking through his nostrils. He picks up a soiled music sheet. I wait for him to say something else, but he doesn't. These days, he doesn't say much at all.

“Come on, Beat, we're going," Eve says.

She picks up her duffel bag in one arm, and then grabs a hold of mine with another. Her fingernails, painted a vivid red, dig into the flesh of my arm. I cringe. We head toward the door, when our Old Man says, slowly, as if coming out of a heavy fog, "When’ll you be back?"

"We're not coming back, you old goon!" Eve shouts, before slamming the door behind her.

On the other side, very faintly, I hear the strumming of a guitar.
___

“That goon, that twit!" Eve slams the car door shut on her side. She glances at me, and her eyes soften just a bit.

“Buckled in?" she says. I am not buckled in, so she leans over and grabs the seat belt, dragging it across my chest and snaps it into place.

“He’s crazy! You'd think he'd get his head out of the clouds by now and come chasing after us, but no! All he cares about is his freaking guitar. To hell with his music! He's a lousy player, anyway."

“But I like when he plays," I say. “It sounds like a rumbling engine.”

Eve frowns, but says nothing.

Through the closed windows, I can hear the shrill chirping of crickets.

“You hungry?" she says.

“Not really."

“Well, where do you want to go?"

I shrug.

“You’re not being real helpful here, you know?"

I scrunch my eyebrows.

She sighs.

“Okay,” she says, "I know just the place. Well, it's the only place I know in this godforsaken city, so that's good enough for me. Is it all right with you?"

I nod.

Eve turns the keys in the ignition, and the familiar mechanical humming of her old ’91 hatchback Celica cradles us in our seats. “All right, let's go," she says. We take off, with her foot heavy on the gas pedal. The lights in the city streak by us like bright, colored plumes.

There is only one place we know of in this “godforsaken” city. In the thick darkness, darkness one can taste at the tip of the tongue, we drove ourselves up Signal Hill.
___

Eve begins setting up for a well-sized fire. She says, a bonfire will cleanse the soul. “Like smoking a million cigarettes.” And then adds after some thought, “Filtered."

“But smoking can kill you," I tell her. “You can get -”

She sighs. “Gather up some twigs, will you? We can't start the bonfire without anything."

But ten minutes of shuffling through darkness unearths nothing but a few scraggly twigs. Eve spots a lonely bush huddled on the side of the dusty road overlooking a field of grasshopper-shaped drilling rigs. “A bush it is then,” she says.

Eve takes out a lighter and flicks it on. A bluish flame snuffs up. A few yards away from us, the drilling rigs dig for oil that isn't there. Eve turns to face the nearest one, and says: “Old Grasshopper Sir."

She slaps her palms together, so I do the same. Old Grasshopper Sir dips his head to us in reply.

“We are gathered here today in front of your peeling, green corpse to stake claim over this hill. Amen."

She nudges me in the ribs.

“Amen," I chirp.

She bends over, holding the lighter down toward the bush, and – whoosh! - like magic, it flares up. My heart clenches, unclenches.

At first, Eve is merely walking, one foot at a time, measuring out her steps, going around and around the bush. I follow. Soon, she is doing a twist, her hands up in the air. I follow. We find ourselves dancing, shaking our limbs, rocking our heads from side to side. We dance around that bonfire like possessed Indians.

Later, we stand quietly, hand in hand, mesmerized by the flames.

Eve says, over the crackling of the flames, “People are drawn to fires, you know, like moths."

“What about butterflies?" I ask.

She shakes her head. “There’s something burning inside of us, just like the burning in a bonfire. We’re all looking for an answer to a question.”

Eve continues gazing at the bonfire for a long time. I tug on her hand.

“Can we go home yet?"

She says nothing, so I say nothing. Her expression is placid, her skin bathed in a deep, red glow. I wonder silently if it was from the fire, or from something within her frail body.

Then she closes her eyes.

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:04 AM »
Mine, I hope you managd to finish your piece if writing with no drama in the end. That's such a familiar state of mind - knowing you have to relax so you can get it done, but stressing because that deadline is looming  :umm:

Megan, what a scare! I'm glad to hear he recovered quickly, things like that always put into perspective what the really important things in life are.

Hats - wowww! I love your style.. The vibe of your writing. Mmm, I'm left hungry for more.  :ohh:

We're getting some glorious weather here after a bit of a cold spell. Spent the afternoon at the library and then out in the shade by the next park.. Feeling grateful for my daughter's love of books and the beautiful sunshine that warms my heart..

Lilanar

• Nigeru Onna
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »
Thank you guys, it seems he had an internal bleeding during night, so when woke up in the morning the blood clods were floating in the back of his eye, (called cornea??) hence the hazy eye sight. Doc said he has to wait for the clods to get absorbed slowly by the blood vessels. Somehow like the clods getting absorbed after one gets bruises on skin or something. Mom argued with him that he should never eat nuts(omega3), olives(vit. E) and pomegranate (vit C) all blood thinners (and available everywhere in our country) in one day. It seems he's going to listen this time. >.>

By the way Hats, thank you for posting the chapter. Really enjoyed reading it. It has your style shouting in it. But well, when you want to torture someone send a chapter 2 of a story and don't tell them the rest, huh? I love the characters, even though they look different than the normal people you encounter everyday. I guess the only thing that made my heart clench after reading was that I wanted to know more about the feelings and thoughts of the narrator to dive deeply into the story. <<My hobby.

Any plans to continue it? ;)

It reminds me you're the second person in my life that I really want to see continue writing. The first one was a friend in elementary school. She could write some literature pieces better than adults. In my childhood innocence and rightful thinking(there was a time like that) I was sure she would become a writer!! I didn't see her for years, then a year ago she called to see I'm alive or not. I asked her "you continued literature, right?" She said "oh, no. I'm an architect." (Note: She was really bad at art and drawing.) I said "Well, I'm sure as a hobby then?" She said with a high and mighty voice of the modern society "Oh, never, I'm too busy with my profession, you see?" I said "It's such a pity my friend." So she blindly persuaded the standard way that modern people set for their lives and call it the best.

I hope you continue it. Like an art, when it comes from the heart and gets accepted by the right person it gets published, if not, you've not lost anything, just took a step forward, ne? I can't wish the dramas in your life end, since dramas are glued to life, but I wish they get cleared enough to give you some time to persuade what you want in life. And that for all SH members too. -Amen!-  Nudges Hats in the ribs. LOL

Sekine ch.2 v2> cleaning

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »
Thank you guys, it seems he had an internal bleeding during night, so when woke up in the morning the blood clods were floating in the back of his eye, (called cornea??) hence the hazy eye sight. Doc said he has to wait for the clods to get absorbed slowly by the blood vessels. Somehow like the clods getting absorbed after one gets bruises on skin or something. Mom argued with him that he should never eat nuts(omega3), olives(vit. E) and pomegranate (vit C) all blood thinners (and available everywhere in our country) in one day. It seems he's going to listen this time. >.>

Lilanar, I hope your dad will get better, or that at least his existing problems won't get worse. I am very near-sighted and one of my worst fears is to get eye problems. Sadly, it is not completely irrational. My ophtalmologist mentioned to me that my strong near-sightedness is a risk factor for at least one problem (I'm not sure how it's called in english and I don't want to google it lol), and it probably won't get better as I get older. To make things worse, without being hypochondriac, I am very sensitive to the sight (or the idea) of blood and this kind of things, so the idea of getting eye problems make me panic.  :noway:

To comment on your friend's situation, I don't think it's necessarily a sad thing. People change as they grow up. In my opinion, maybe unless you're Arthur Rimbaud, becoming a writer is not so much a matter of raw talent as a matter of cultivating it year after year, and taking interest in it. In all modesty, when I was in elementary school, my teachers were constantly gushing about my talent for writing, and my imagination. They systematically read my pieces to the class, and I received countless advice about my future career choices ("You're meant to study litterature!", "Keep writing!" and so on). My dislike for maths, my love for reading and my tendency to daydream and be absent minded didn't help, because of the myth that people who have their head in the clouds are intellectuals. And, being a malleable child, I agreed with them. But as I grew up, I changed. I realized that I felt simply flattered by the compliments I received, that I didn't particularly love writing, not to the point where I could become a writer, be it as a hobby or as a profession, and that I certainly didn't want to study literature, or even humanities in general. But if my personality had been different, maybe I would have kept writing and I would have gotten something out of it, who knows?

Hats: I enjoyed reading the story you posted. It was easy to get caught up in it. I hope you will get to continue it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:04:50 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 04:43:12 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'm more into screenwriting, so this may be turned into a movie script instead. Not deluding myself into thinking that I'll be the next Spielberg, but I'd love to get into the Indie movie scene. My dad's first gift to me when I turned 10 was a camcorder, and I would write up scripts and audition the neighborhood kids for parts to such gems as "King Kong in Los Angeles" or "Phillip Lost His Eyeballs."  :wahaha:

I'm using a friend's PC. (Thank you, J!) So the best thing that's happened today is I am back.

Everyone seems to have filtered out of view. Where are you, staff?!

Hoping to see you all here again soon.

Lilanar

• Nigeru Onna
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 06:15:26 AM »
 Thanks Minelauva dear. He went for a check up again. Doc said it's getting better slowly but he has to go for check up more frequently from now on...

About that thing with math and literature. I see what you mean. But you know in Asian countries becoming an engineer or physician is just a fad. Rarely anyone would go after their artistic or sport talent for example. They study engineering inland or abroad then call you after years to tell you they became one...!! There's a long way to think and act like a western Asian. Why do you think I'm running away?  :thisthis:

Everyone seems to have filtered out of view. Where are you, staff?!

:rolling: *Rolling right in front of Hats' nose*

Was busy with my grandma's anniversary preparations. It'll be in 2 weeks but my typical nosy aunt(I talked about on the website too) is on her way, so I have to be double prepared. She lives in another prefecture, so whenever she gets a chance to visit the capital and see us here, she scans us from head to toe and reminds us of our crooks. Mom says it's a blessing since at least once a year you'll take care of yourself properly like a woman at your age should. :lazybum:
She made her grand daughter get lash and nail implants and register in a fitness program after liposuction (at age 20)...  Just for the records our country has the second place of plastic surgery only after Brazil and that in this economical pinch. Again...
why do you think I'm running away?  :thisthis:  <<Seigi no mikata desu
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:43:19 AM by Lilanar »
Sekine ch.2 v2> cleaning

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 07:28:49 AM »
Haha, lash implants sound pretty scary. I think Korea and Japan are way up there on the "plastic surgery addicted freaks" list too. It's pretty scary how common it is, and it makes me wonder whether all those beautiful Korean girls that I see in Korea Town are "real"... I've seen natural Korean women, especially when I'm chowing down on bibimbap at the local Korean eatery. They look nothing like these clones I see around lately who all mysteriously look like sisters and cousins.

Hopefully it's just the makeup.  :umm:

I'm glad to see you around, even if you're busy with the anni preparations. If the crazy aunt looks you from head to toe, return the favor, then give her your biggest smile but don't tell her what you're thinking.  It'll drive her nuts. :wildthought:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
If the crazy aunt looks you from head to toe, return the favor, then give her your biggest smile but don't tell her what you're thinking.  It'll drive her nuts. :wildthought:

Hahaha. That's a brilliant idea!  :kekeke: