September 20, 2019, 05:52:40 AM

Author Topic: Best/Worst thing that happened today  (Read 810422 times)

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
Re: Best/Worst thing that happened today
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
coco, damn girl, you are so different from me. I'm as stubborn as an ox when it comes to hanging out with my coworkers, especially after work hours. I think it has something to do with the fact that I enjoy my job to a certain degree, but I spend ALL DAY with these people, and they want me to spend ALL NIGHT with them too? OH HELLS NO. I will step my foot the hell down, and they will have to drag me there kicking and screaming.

Rule #1: Never let them ply me with alcohol.

I am only letting my guard down in front of a select few people: My older sister, my boyfriend, my best friend and my ex-boyfriend-now-friend. You see, my parents are not even on that list. Why would my coworkers be?

Rule #2: Don't hang out with coworkers.

And if Rule #2 fails, then follow Rule #1...

My coworkers suspect I'm dating someone, but I'm not going to introduce him to them. He will not show up at my office, and he is not going to send me flowers at work so that they will know he exists. They will not see it coming and will not know what hit them until I smack down that wedding invite on their desks lol.

I'm glad the experience turned out positive for you though. I think you needed that positive outcome. But my romantic heart was secretly hoping you had hit it off with The One Who Gave Dating Advice. Guess life doesn’t work that way, huh?
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
Surprisingly, I don't mind hanging out with my coworkers. I hardly ever go out for drinks with them, because I don't really drink alcohol, but I have nothing against the idea. We frequently eat lunch together. I like them and we're all basically the same age so being together is easy. We can just be ourselves. At first, I was afraid things would get awkward if I let them get to know me better. I was afraid they wouldn't respect me as much. But I realized I couldn't let my low self-esteem issues get the better of me and forced myself to open up. I don't regret it. My job is not always fun or easy and the pay is quite low, but the atmosphere at work is very good. If it wasn't for my coworkers, I would have quit long ago. Most of the time, we don't talk about anything too personal. We're coworkers, not friends. But occasionally, when the timing was right, I've had deeper conversations with some of them. I don't regret it. Allowing ourselves to be vulnerable with each other has created a bond and we work better together now. When I started working, my worst fear was that I wouldn't be able to work in a team in the long term and not just for a school project. Considering that when I was a teenager, someone once called me asocial, it turned out well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:31:38 PM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #257 on: July 06, 2017, 03:56:03 AM »
That's quite impressive Mine! I've always felt that if you really enjoy working with the people you work with, you can overlook a lot of not so great things about work and still be willing to stay. Whereas if you don't like the people you work with, good luck staying there long...

Might be why I ended leaving my job - I appreciated everyone on my team in a way, but only really meshed with one of my teammates. Meaning it felt like crap a lot of the time.

Hope everyone had a good 4th.. or will have a good 14th... or whatever other closeby Independence Days that might exist for others!

I've been trying to make good on my promise to be less boy crazy, which is making me painfully aware of how much I've depended on dating apps to give me the periodic high of having some match to hit me up. I've only been resisting swiping on Tinder and similar apps for a few days now (I've been cutting off pointless & frivolous relations with guys a little longer). I didn't fully realize I was unconsciously giving myself a dopamine high from male attention by swiping or meeting up with someone every few days or so. It's so embarrassing, I'd only talk about it here. _(-_-||)_

When my heart goes all crazy from loneliness or pining, I whip out a good book to clear my head of my useless thoughts. Lately I've been reading A Summer Dream of Sheep (or something like that?) by Murakami. Combined with what little I've read of 1Q84, I finally get what people mean when they say that Murakami is like Kafka - even though I've never read Kafka! Very dreamy and surreal narrative.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:59:44 AM by Kusa »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
Murakami, Kusa? A Wild Sheep Chase, maybe? The one with the girl and her "dead ears"? To this day, my favorite re-read of his has to be that short story, On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning. I was such a huge Murakami fan back in the day. If you’ve ever read the first few paragraphs of Sputnik Sweetheart, you will see my subtle homage to that novel in a post I made on our team blog titled: What I Want, What I Want, What I Really, Really Want.

That “high” you get swiping dating apps, is the same feeling I get when I buy new books I have absolutely NO time to read. You’re not alone in your crazy obsessions.

But enough of that! I should be working! *slinks back to work*

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2017, 03:39:10 AM »
Yes, that's the one!! Ah, I'm so bad with details. I did kind of fall for his writing - I've been avoiding Murakami a long time because I saw a bit of the film adaptaion of Norweigan Wood (was it thru a recommendation here? small world) and I knew then that he wrote on such morbid and depressing topics as depression. I can't take overtly emotional content, my soul is too sensitive for it. But he does have a poignant, restrained way of writing. This is literature!

My only other foray into reading Murakami has been 1Q84, which I've been told that people should not start on, and I a bit agree.  That one's dense and almost plodding. (Never made it past a few chapters, though maybe one day I'll pick it back up).

Anyway, at least your unhealthy habit is... illustrious, whereas mine is straight up tawdry.

Yes, I too should be working. *frets* *also slinks back to work*

Did you know????? A Wild Sheep Chase is part of some lofty trilogy, the third book actually..! I did NOT know!!! Now I'm dying to read some amateur analysis of what the hell Murakami was trying to get at in all that wild sheep chase (I'm full of questions) but I CANT because I have the read other books first. Kill me now.

OK. *really slinks back to work now*
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:42:39 AM by Kusa »

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »
cocoyam replies late (+lengthily on not much at all). :lalalala:
I enjoy drinking alcohol a bit, in a moderate sense, but usually I don't enjoy doing that with my co-workers. My co-workers are older, and French, and mostly males, equating to older French male co-workers. (redundant, yes, I know) I can't relate to them very well. They have this European version of bro-culture, like we work at this corporate start-up and are go-getting engineers and salespeople, or something. So I hardly have much to say to them, and it's not very enjoyable to hang out with older folks.

I wish I sounded less ageist, and that I embraced hanging out with people of all ages, because the start-up scene in the Silicon Valley is notoriously biased towards youthfulness... Older people talk about these small talk topics, like immigration (if they're immigrants), children, travel, where they go to work out, if they're the grown-up form of yuppies; what they do for fun, like snorkeling or music concerts or surfing/skiing. They have these funny anecdotes to share about what they did or saw at one point in their lives.

Around people my own age, I feel I can relate to them because we're at the same stage in life where we haven't quite figured things out yet. I can let down my guard and talk about what I feel like at work, the ways I waste my time, can talk about dating or not-dating and gossip harmlessly. I don't have to pretend I know what I'm talking about, or feel feeble for seeming less than sure about handling the mundane conversation that adults dredge up. I guess it's normal to relate more to people within your same age bracket with whom you have more in common, due to being at the same stage in life, but it took me a while to figure that out.

Anyway, that's how I usually feel when invited to go drinking with the European tech bros at my company, but there are a few co-workers on my team I appreciate more than the rest, including Drunk Advice Co-Worker, and I wouldn't mind going drinking with just them, mb sometime. But that's rarely the case, or when the invitation comes it's spontaneous and I, an introvert, haven't planned for it in the natural flow of my life for that day.

All that to say, though, I envy you, Hats, for being able to draw a sharp line between co-workers and social life outside of work. Maybe that's because you get along with your co-workers during the day, anyway. I'm pretty reserved and haven't connected that well with my co-workers during my first 9 months of employment (I'm around that mark!) so I feel underperforming, like I ought to perform better socially with my co-workers. Well, I think it's better to not necessarily be friends with your teammates, but to have a comfortable relationship with them and joke around as if you could be friends, at least. T^T

I don't feel anything developing romantically with my co-workers, even Co-Worker Who Gave Drunk Advice, who is considered a level above me and a superior of indirect sort even if not my direct supervisor, although some of them are friendly. I think it's more comfortable this way, too, although I have almost no chance of dating if I don't date my co-workers, or schoolfriends (since I abstain from meeting strangers to date, something I find a chore).

I've discovered lately that I think I might be happier at at company where I can relate to my co-workers more, therefore allowing myself to be more at ease and better able to form and grow/learn (in a technical sense) from relationships with my co-workers. In the end, it's that culture that I don't feel I relate to 100% that I feel somewhat inhibits or hinders me, combined with some disagreeable small petty things, like team politics and paranoia about conflicts. I realized it doesn't always have to be like this, at other companies; I don't always act so reserved and tentative, in every setting. Although there are many good/decent things about my company, I think I shouldn't settle at risk of limiting my growth.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:37:50 AM by cocoyam »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
Since most of my family went away to the French Riviera for two weeks, I've been staying at home alone with one of my younger brothers for the past week. During these few days, I've had a taste of what my mother goes through everyday. He's not doing anything to help! He's staying at home all day long, sleeping until midday and doing God knows what the rest of the time. Yet, when I come home from work, completely exhausted, I'm the one who has to go grocery shopping, who has to cook, to clean the dishes and the house. I even have check the mail and to water the plants. Today, I spent half the day cooking and since he was getting hungry, he came by several times to check whether the food was ready. He didn't even offer to help. :shaded:

What's even worse is that he probably doesn't even realize what he's doing. He can take care of himself. When there's nothing to eat, he goes to buy some food, he prepares his own lunches, when I'm too tired to cook, he puts a pizza in the oven and washes the dishes... He just thinks taking care of the household is primarily my responsibility since I'm older and I'm a girl. And he will never, ever clean the house. It probably doesn't even cross his mind.  :mad:

What's sad is that he's twenty-three. He's too old to behave like a teenager. But I shouldn't complain. I'm twenty-eight and still living with my parents. I live twenty minutes away from my workplace, I don't pay rent and hardly ever have to help out with household chores since my mom doesn't work. Taking care of the house and my brother for a few weeks a year in exchange is a good deal.

Still, my parents have six children and he's the worst one in that regard. I wonder if he behaves this way because he's a middle child or if it's just plain old sexism.

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
We have six in the family too. I can assure you that not all middle children are like your brother! I think maybe your brother could have benefited with some chores as a kid, like vacuuming the carpet or sweeping the floor. Whether you pay rent or not doesn’t factor in to this equation because you are all sharing a house, so everyone needs to pitch in to help mom when she’s away. And you’re his older sister, not his maid!

He sounds like a decent person, just needs a bit of discipline. 23 is young, but my youngest brother is 18, and he washes the dishes at home for my parents. If the sink is filled up, he automatically washes everything. But that came from my parents giving us daily chores.

As for me, I’ve been pretty crazy lately. Sitting on the anniversary releases still. Once I get everything in that I need from staff, it will be a done deal. For now, just wanted to say that you got me totally hooked on Cable Girls, and I hate you for it because Season 1 is over already and I’m dying to know what happens next to Francisco, Alba, and Carlos!  :wahhh:

Megan

• Staff
    • Proofreader & Cleaner
« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »
I'm so glad this board exists because I need to just rant somewhere! Nothing bad, but just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there...
I've been offline for the most part because I kinda hit a road block. I've been working my first full time, professional office job for around 1.5 years now, and I've been seriously underpaid for the work I do for the company. It's super frustrating because I love my job, but I know and am being acknowledged for doing a good job, yet I'm not been paid what I'm owed.
It makes it next to impossible to move out and start my own life!! Now I feel totally stuck!! I have no money to move out, but I don't want to leave the company because I love it, but I just gotta do it! I want to do something with myself, and it's been hugely frustrating the past couple of months.
I know everyone must have felt like this, or still do, but it's my first time feeling like I have no direction. It's a lot more scary that I ever thought.

On a better note: one of my friends works in Japan, and I have finally set a date to go see her! We're going to a snow festival in Sapporo in February, so that's been driving me to keep going. I'll be doing a week or so in Tokyo by myself, so if you have any suggestions, send them my way! I'd like to do a day trip somewhere not too far as well, so offer any suggestions if you have them!

Anyway: I owe SwirlyOwl a whole Ane no Kekkon volume (I'm still working, I promise!), and I'll be working on & ch. 26 slowly. It's gotta be the worst chapter of the series... X __ X
Kiyoku Yawaku
10b: Cleaning

And
ch 27: Prepping

Ane no Kekkon
ch 22: Prepping
ch 23: Prepping
ch 24: Prepping

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
That sucks Megan. Hope you can take it step by step. I wonder if your company realizes that they might be losing out on a hardworking, skilled employee if they pay you so little that you have to leave. That snow festival sounds like so much fun though, hopefully it'll make up for the stress that you have to go through now!

I haven't posted here in a while either. I realized I really wanted to work on my own projects and not as much as what was being given to me to study, so I put my foot down and told my school I was going part-time. That took a little courage because I generally try to please people. Ended out working in my favor, because they listened to me and told me to do my projects as independent study full-time instead! I really like it, but I spend a lot of time obsessing over whether I'm moving along fast enough (I work slowly) and whatnot. Actually. I just don't move along at the pace that I want, plain and simple, so a lot of things are getting left off the plate.

I'd slowly been getting over my ex-fwb, who I had a heart to heart with in March (did I mention it? not sure). But early August, I met someone who sparked my interest and who also happened to be uninterested in relationships (damn, Kusa, you got a thing going there for the guys you get into!). My conversation with this new guy about relationships made me think hard about my commitment phobia and I ended up making a soft proposal to my ex-fwb to give things a try back down in SoCal (meaning I'd move from the Bay to be with him). Ex-fwb shot me down, pretty much, which is probably for the best. Even though I really liked him and he said that he had strong feelings for me, there were a lot of signs that we wouldn't be happy together. Now I'm ignoring his emails for creative input (it's slightly tactless! why do you gotta assume I'll give you feedback on every iteration of your film just because I said I was willing to look over a script ONCE? and after shooting me down on my grave offer at romance!)

I've been giving relationships and casual hooking up a rest. I'm getting breakfast (for dinner) with a date tomorrow, but it's mostly for fun.

What preoccupies me my tendency to get lonely and brood. I've wanted a good friend, one I can connect to profoundly, forever, and the new guy I met was something like that. It hasn't been entirely easy, though, so I haven't been in touch with him for two weeks now. I'm trying to clear out the cobwebs in my mind and figure out our boundaries. I worry what he thinks about the no-contact and hope he's okay with us only meeting every once in a while. I'll try to explain things if we meet up again in the end.

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:33 PM »
Megan: Read your message in the CBOX, as well as your Sep post. Gambare! Fighting! I'll be cheering you on the sidelines while you try to accomplish your goals. You deserve to go where you will be compensated and valued for your good work. I had to fight for my promotion this May in my company, but they did not give me the raise I asked for yet, so I know the feeling. I may need to walk away if nothing changes. Let's do this!

Kusa: Damn, girl. You are forever heading toward trouble with these fwb relationships. I keep wishing I could physically restrain you when anyone cute but dangerous comes along. Can't understand how you handle these heartbreaks, but you do it like a champ. I'd be a sobbing mess.

I'm currently on a relationship "hiatus". I really had to ask for it because I was starting to get cold feet. Is this what happens when you're in too deep? Usually I just break things off before I ever get to this point, or the guy ghosts me, and then I bump into him, only to find him with someone else. I also felt suffocated because I never had time to myself. Anyway, that's not really bad news, as we are still skyping regularly. But now I'm ready to start pouring my energy into scanlating again, free of distractions. (Sorry, Boyfriend.)

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:19 AM »
I keep wishing I could physically restrain you when anyone cute but dangerous comes along.
Bahahahaha!!!! That's hilarious. FWIW the guy who "sparked my interest" but "was not looking for a relationship" wanted to be fwb but I turned him down because I knew a fwb with him would have spelled trouble for my heart. Now we're good friends who have kept very diligently platonic.

My first fwb (the guy I made the soft proposal to) is completely oblivious. First of all, he didn't get that him turning down my offer might have been a big deal for me, emotionally speaking, and second, he wished me happy holidays and all that while forgetting about my birthday (right around the holidays). It kind of makes me glad he turned me down-- I thought I'd be able to be patient with that side to him, but it would have driven me crazy.

I have been staying away from fwb and casual arrangements for a few whole months(!!) or I suppose maybe a half year lol but I'm about to strike something up again. I like to think that I've learned, however, and that I know to end things early if there's any trouble for my heart signaled ahead.

@Hats: I wonder if you have an independent streak that makes you want a little more space in a relationship, or if your habitual cold feet might be a symptom of self-protective habits (avoidance of attachment)? Either way, I'm glad that your boyfriend is understanding (I hope) and that the two of you are able to give each other space to figure things out.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
Megan: Read your message in the CBOX, as well as your Sep post. Gambare! Fighting! I'll be cheering you on the sidelines while you try to accomplish your goals. You deserve to go where you will be compensated and valued for your good work. I had to fight for my promotion this May in my company, but they did not give me the raise I asked for yet, so I know the feeling. I may need to walk away if nothing changes. Let's do this!

I hope you get the raise you deserve. I've been swamped with work lately. I've gained more responsibilities but I've been in the same position for three years and I need a change. If I don't get an actual promotion soon, I'll have to start looking for a new job.  :hero:

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2018, 03:14:49 AM »
Hope you all are doing good! I miss seeing some more detail posts from all of the staff about their lives :)

Here's a x-post from another forum I frequent:
I'm a bit tired - have trouble getting consistent sleep at night and it's really putting a crimp on me getting to school on time and having a good morning routine. That aside, I've been wanting to limit my distractions from school but keep feeling like I'm pulled away by social matters. I set a hard limit of 3 social commitments this week but even still I feel scattered. Today I met with one of my closer friends (the one who 'sparked my interest' and with whom I am being 'diligently platonic'). I'm flattered that he professes to enjoy spending time with me (out of a select few in his life) and that he's eager to hang out more regularly, but to me our conversations are 50:50. Sometimes I'm really into them and sometimes there's a bit of mismatch. I also think because I'm so reserved yet we talk a lot about our own identities, our conversations can be a bit jarring to me. I do like him though and would like to be truly good friends. I just don't know how to manage my life. Lol.

I'm also looking forward to reuniting with my high school best friend, who I haven't talked to in years, in 2 weeks, and (I'm not sure "looking forward" is the right term, but) going back to work after school finishes--to my internship workplace, where i was super stressed.
 :huh:

But I'm hoping to approach things differently this time around so I won't have the same experience. Why am I going back? Because I don't want to do another job search, and I want to focus on completing my project, and because they pay well.

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #269 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:37 AM »
(only one left posting lol)

The meeting with my ex-bestie went well. It's strange seeing her after 8 years - it's still her, only grown up and more outing and cheery. We're planning on hanging out again with a few more high school friends.

It's odd that coco and I have nascent "adult" friendships developing where different dyads and groups of people go out of their way to hang out with us (it feels like one step further than in college and school when that stuff was convenient). Well, they're nascent, and we have to see how these things go. But anyway I'm working -- well working is a generous term, but -- I'm working on reducing how much I form my sense of self through my relationships with others. I realize I spend a lot of mental energy on that stuff. I don't want to cut off my friendships with others, but part of me wants to retreat into myself and find myself again through my pursuit of hobbies and passions, rather than who I am to others. If that makes any sense.

I wrote two posts ago that I was about to strike something up again in the liaisons department (which I'd given a break for a while). Well I tried one or two liaisons out but none of it was all that compelling to me. So instead I went back to an old lover I really like (who happens to be pretty elusive). I really enjoy our encounters but I have to watch myself with this guy - I've always been too into him for my own good.

/end diary post :eto: