May 26, 2019, 11:51:53 AM

Author Topic: Guilty pleasures  (Read 138680 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Guilty pleasures
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »
So, do you have any guilty pleasures? Or rather, since I'm sure you do, would you mind sharing them with us?

For years, one of my guilty pleasures had been watching the TV show "The vampire diaries". That changed last year. Oh, I haven't stopped watching it but in my eyes, it suddenly became a socially acceptable pastime when I started watching "Reign" (both series are broacast on the CW by the way). I hope I won't hurt anyone's feelings when I say that this show is stupid. Compared to it, Gran Hotel is a masterpiece. But I absolutely love how it revisits France's history. It's absolutely priceless. And, okay, I admit it, I love forbidden loves, and love stories, and soap operas. I have been reading shoujo for years after all.
I can't stand the main character's love interest, Prince Francis, mainly because of his awul haircut and his hideous hair color (shallow, I know). If it were up to me, the main character would run off with his half brother Bash without hesitation. I'm still wondering to what French name "Bash" is supposed to refer to by the way. But in any case, if that happened, it would most likely make me lose interest quite quickly because, as I already stated, I love forbidden loves. Still, one of the best things about this show is that if I didn't know it was set in France during the Renaissance, I would have never guessed. So, it is idiotic, definitely, but I enjoy it greatly. :wildthought:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:04:05 AM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »
The slight nod to Vamp Diaries had me bowling over with laughter. That's one of my mom's guilty pleasures too! Finally the day has come where you remind me of my own mother.  :wahaha:

TV viewing is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. I know I should be reading half the time, but I just can't take my eyes off the screen... But what I watch that could be considered "guilty" would be Thai soap operas. Seriously, they're awful, and have more cliches than all the kdramas in the world put together, but still oh so addictive (with the help of the fast-forward button). I used to question my sister about why they always put the "couple" on the front cover so you already know who is going to end up with who.  Her explanation: We watch it because we like to see them together. Also, they basically tell you in the interview everything that is going to happen in the script. There's hardly any room to explore or for originality when you know how it's going to end, dammit.

One example in particular is my all-time favorite: The Golden Sand Mansion circa 2002. I don't actually understand any Thai besides "Hello" and "Thank you," and rely heavily on my older sister to narrate dialog for me. Now that it's on Viki with Eng subs, I've dismissed her from her role, lol.

Anyway, The Golden Sand Mansion starring adorable poster boy Num Sornram and full-lipped beauty Joy Rinalee Sripen, is bursting with melodrama and romance. I just love how they repeat things a million times as if the audience has Alzheimer. And oh the catfights! The main character gets feisty whenever anyone puts down her parents and she is not afraid to claw at their faces or pull when this verbal abuse occurs. This happens over and over and over again. Her wild outbursts give her benefactor, in all his slicked-back hair and cravated glory, an excuse to hold her in his arms while she is powerless to resist him, so that he could lecture her on such sexy topics as going to school and taking care of his library, lol.

The evil mother and evil sister always makes me laugh because they have probably the best lines. Such gems as "I hate her like I hate a tapeworm" come to mind.

Also whenever one person is musing about something to another person, they ALWAYS seem to turn away from the listener and gaze out into the distance. It's a total crack up.

"You can't sleep until you're done dusting my books, which look totally brand new!"

My other guilty pleasure is Lincoln Park. If I have to narrow it down, then particularly Mike Shinoda. I act like I hate him and deride him any chance I get in publich, but when me and my brother met Mike Shinoda at an art exhibit, I was the one queuing up to see him. (Yes, I know. Pretty lame.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:06:06 AM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
The slight nod to Vamp Diaries had me bowling over with laughter. That's one of my mom's guilty pleasures too! Finally the day has come where you remind me of my own mother.  :wahaha:

Hahahaha. It has started again! :uhhuhyeah:

TV viewing is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. I know I should be reading half the time, but I just can't take my eyes off the screen...

I don't read as much as I would like too neither, but that's also in part because I tend to read long urban fantasy series and then, when I'm done, I reread the books I enjoyed the most (I could say that's another one of my guilty pleasures). As a result, the list of books I've read lately is not nearly as diversified as I would like it to be. I just finished reading "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman, but that still qualifies as urban fantasy I guess. But I've decided to explore other kinds of fantasy, it's a start. :D My first attempt at exploring this genre ended abruptly years ago after I gave up halfway through the first book of the Lord of the Ring series.

I don't actually understand any Thai besides "Hello" and "Thank you," and rely heavily on my older sister to narrate dialog for me. Now that it's on Viki with Eng subs, I've dismissed her from her role, lol.

Your sister understands Thai? I'm impressed.

And oh the catfights! The main character gets feisty whenever anyone puts down her parents and she is not afraid to claw at their faces or pull when this verbal abuse occurs. This happens over and over and over again. Her wild outbursts give her benefactor, in all his slicked-back hair and cravated glory, an excuse to hold her in his arms while she is powerless to resist him, so that he could lecture her on such sexy topics as going to school and taking care of his library, lol.

Hahahaha. That's exactly the kind of things that would make it worth watching this series but I'm going to stick to Reign. I already waste too much time as it is.  :wahaha:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »
Haha, just so you know, I'll be watching Reign once I finish with Brothers & Sisters. B&S is a little heavy for me, and I think you've just convinced me to go in for a "fun show."

Your sister understands Thai? I'm impressed.
She's full Thai, while I'm only half. Same father, different mothers. I have an older brother as well, who is my half-brother, while my three younger brothers and I are fully related. I know that sounds like a recipe for a TV drama. :umm:

Hahahaha. That's exactly the kind of things that would make it worth watching this series but I'm going to stick to Reign. I already waste too much time as it is.
Oh, no, please don't watch House of Golden Sand. What I said was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Although it's probably one of the better ones out there, it's almost as bad as the script-less Hong Kong dramas my ex-boyfriend used to make me watch. I don't know why with all the "high-quality stuff" I tend to watch that I would keep on revisiting this one. Definitely makes me feel a guilty.

As for books, I think I'm too serious about literature. It's like another form of art for me. I think the only guilty pleasures I've ever indulged in while reading are historical romances, especially regency romance. I would never admit to reading it in public though, lol. At least not with people I know. I'll bring that to the grave with me.  :cheesy: That said, you and Rexy have mentioned urban fantasy a few times, which got me really curious. Honestly, I've never heard of the genre until you guys were talking about it.

xochie

• Staff
  • Leecher
    • Editor
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »
For years, one of my guilty pleasures had been watching the TV show "The vampire diaries".
Oh god, The Vampire Diaries used to be such a guilty pleasure for me. I've only stopped watching it now because my favourite characters have gotten their own spin-off, haha.

For me, my top guilty pleasure would be terrible, cheesy reality TV competition shows. America's Next Top Model (I know), Big Brother, Masterchef. You name it, I love it. I know it's intellectually terrible but I just gobble that crap up. :blush:

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »
My "used to be" guilty pleasure was soap operas (American version) then it got repetitive with countless break ups then get back together, et cetera. I used to collect soap operas magazines (it was so stupid and total waste of money). Duh me.

I'm almost am too ashamed to admit this, I do watch Bravo channel ( including various Housewives series: OC, New Jersey, Beverly Hills, etc). I know! But it's entertaining to watch them to fight over idiotic stuff, being dramatic and being petty.  *laughs*.  :wildthought:
Updated: April 4, 2019

In Progress : [Cleaning]

Suppli 13: 44/45
Suppli 14: cleaned, RDs
Haikoiri 4: 59/63
Haikoiri 5: 1/?
Nina My Love 21: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 3: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 4: 17/39
Love Master X 5: 5/34
Kiyoku 5a: cleaned, RDs
Kiyoku 5b: 20/41

Typesetting:
Suppli 2: 0/32

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
My "used to be" guilty pleasure was soap operas (American version) then it got repetitive with countless break ups then get back together, et cetera. I used to collect soap operas magazines (it was so stupid and total waste of money). Duh me.

Yeah. I like series with psychological and sentimental themes, but soap operas get boring after a while. I used to watch Gossip Girl, but during season 3, I completely lost interest.

For me, my top guilty pleasure would be terrible, cheesy reality TV competition shows. America's Next Top Model (I know), Big Brother, Masterchef. You name it, I love it. I know it's intellectually terrible but I just gobble that crap up. :blush:

A lot of people I know like this type of shows, they put them on as background noise then end up watching them for real. :D But I don't own a TV so I have successfully avoided them until now.

She's full Thai, while I'm only half. Same father, different mothers. I have an older brother as well, who is my half-brother, while my three younger brothers and I are fully related. I know that sounds like a recipe for a TV drama. :umm:

You have such an interesting family. :O I was wondering how your sister could have learnt Thai but I understand now.

That said, you and Rexy have mentioned urban fantasy a few times, which got me really curious. Honestly, I've never heard of the genre until you guys were talking about it.

Hmm, I don't know if you would like this kind of novels because admittedly, the writing could be better in most of them. Even when the writing is good, I wouldn't elevate it to the rank of art (because I totally see what you mean by that). It doesn't bother me as long as these novels are interesting because I'm more sensitive to the beauty of the French language in the first place (I don't think I could read this type of novel in French, or at least not as intensively) but I'm not sure you would find what you're looking for in them. The genre is quite broad and ranges from what are basically adventure novels to romance novels, more or less raunchy. I don't like romance novels, they're too predictable in my opinion, so I prefer UF novels that are rather light on this aspect, but still take the time to study human interactions and psychology, otherwise they feel a bit dry to me. What I like the most about UF though is the universes the authors invent. They describe realities that are very close to what we know, that feel very similar, but are different. Also, they all play with the same codes, there are iimportant constraints, so it's interesting to see the results. In a way, these novels are like Agatha Christie's novels to me. Interesting, sometimes addictive, a good way to pass the time, but they don't countain much research on the language.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:59:55 AM »
Posting an update because I love discussing my guilty pleasures as long as it's on the Internet. :D

I stopped watching The Vampire Diaries and its spin-off, The Originals. I lost interest in The Vampire Diaries during last season and I never really got into The Originals. The beginning of the current seasons only confirmed that. Regarding The Vampire Diaries, it's essentially because at some point, too much becomes too much, even for me. Besides, the characters ceased to be interesting long ago. They explored all the directions this show could possible take and it's time they ended it.
Regarding the Originals, I thought they were okay as momentary antagonists in The Vampire Diaries but for me, it was clear from the beginning that they would never make good heros, as least not on the CW. What's completely ridiculous, in a bad way, is that they're supposed to be a thousand years old. In that case, why do they keep behaving like teenagers? -_-'
At least the heros of the two other shows from the CW that I'm watching have an excuse. They really are teenagers. By the way, yes, I realize that practically all the series I watch are broadcast on the CW and that for someone my age, it's really sad. When my younger brother asks me what I've been watching, he can talk about all those grown-up and socially acceptable shows, like the Walking Dead, Dexter, Breaking Bad, and so on, and all I have to answer are the Vampire Diaries and Reign. Oh, and the Mindy Project.  :headfirst:
So most of the time, we end up discussing Game of Throne theories. :D

Anyway, I've started watching the 100 recently. It's a post-apocalyptic sci-fic show, although the sci-fi elements are quite light. There are some elements I don't like about it, and the pace is quite intense, almost too much, but on the whole, it's quite enjoyable. The thing I like the most about it is its strong cast of female characters. It's very refreshing to see female characters, most of them teenagers or young women, treated this way and not like hormonal, superficial beings. I am particularly fond of Anya. Some developments are questionable but it is still a well written show, in my opinion.

My number one guilty pleasure remains Reign though.  :wildthought: Unlike the other shows I've mentioned above, Reign doesn't take itself seriously, which is a good thing, but it doesn't lack ambition. It particularly shows in the character development. At first, I thought the characters would be extremely stereotypical but in fact, the writers have always been careful not to take it too far, thus avoiding the pitfalls the Vampire Diaries fell into for instance. The love triangle between Bash, Francis and Mary was ended before it became too ridiculous. Because of historical veracity, it was clear from the very beginning that Bash and Mary would never get to elope together, so I don't think I could have taken it if this storyline had been used for the whole duration of the series. Similarly, Queen Catherine started out as the great vilain of the show, but, to my surprise, this character was well developed and has shown some unexpected aspects. I admit I have a soft spot for her. It's clear that the writers and actors have fun playing with the various tropes of the genre. It's refreshing.
However, Reign remains a CW shows and as such, it is not a satire. It has to be enjoyed literally. This works perfectly for me since I am a sucker for historical romance in movies and TV shows. I was highly amused when, not long after it became clear that Bash was definitely out of the way, another character and potential love interest made its appearance. The show has been hinting so heavily at a potential love triangle between Francis, Mary and Condé that I'm dying to see how and when it will happen, especially since all the elements to make this a spicy development are falling into place. Besides, in my eyes, anyone, and I really mean anyone, would be more charismatic than Francis and his sad haircut, so I'm cheering at any potential development that would put him out of the spotlight for a while. Also, I admit it, the actor playing Condé is not bad on the eyes. If I were Mary, I wouldn't hesitate for a second lol. But most of all, it's always very fun to remember that some of these characters we see struggling with love and various problems are supposed to represent real historical figures. Imagining King Francis II, Queen Mary of Scots and Prince Condé as good looking persons involved in a love triangle never fails to make me laugh.
Similarly, the costumes are interesting because they are gorgeous, especially the gowns, and completely anachronistic. Of course, the characters would have looked far less glamorous in period costumes, but the men only look slightly less ridiculous in leather pants.
In any case, the writers seem to take great pleasure in reinventing French history. I would too, if I were in their place. Nothing is more fun than doing some serious research on a subject before rearranging elements to your own convenience. But what's interesting is that they're always careful to maintain a link with historical events. Lately, the storyline has revolved aroung the start of the Wars of Religion, a fascinating subject. Of course, a CW show couldn't be more different from a documentary, but seing this topic mentioned has made me want to learn more about it.
I don't really know what to think of the supernatural element though. It's very light and only meant to spice things up. The writers have definitely been taking lessons from the author of Game of Thrones. But it ends up being distracting and rather unnecessary.

I ended up writing a long panegyric to Reign. Oops. There goes my reputation.  :flee: By the way, Hats, have you gotten around to watching it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:17:04 AM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
Honestly, I haven't had time to watch much of anything. We've been busy with family over. I didn't know we would end up having to cook two turkeys this year! Mindy Project s2 is probably the only "guilty pleasure" I've seen. The DVD set finally came in a couple of weeks ago, and I finished it yesterday. Love the subtle butt-grab on the Empire State Building, lol. Reign will be my next conquest after I finish these QC's. I'll definitely be back to update on it.  :cheesy: