August 23, 2019, 11:59:48 AM

Author Topic: Favorite desserts  (Read 683570 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Favorite desserts
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:42 AM »
Since I'm getting hungry, let's talk about our favorite desserts  :dramaqueen:

I have a sweet tooth so the list of my favorite desserts could get very long:

- Chocolate eclair, chocolate religieuse (even more delicious than the former in my opinion), and actually anything with pastry cream in it.

- Pies, and most of all blueberry pie, though come to think of it I also like rhubarb pie (and apple pie, and strawberry pie, and...)

- I don't know many vietnamese desserts but the few I have tasted were delicious. One of my favourites is the classic chè chuối (you'll have to forgive me if it is not the right name. Since my siblings and I don't speak vietnamese, we just made up a name in french for it), which is basically coconut milk cooked with tapioca pearls and bananas, although there are many variants.

- Also, this summer, my sister and I discovered this wonderful thing called Pastel de nata, a kind of Portuguese custard pie, and it is delicious

I think I'll stop there.  :cheesy:
You could tell I was hungry when I created this topic but since we all come from different places and travel to different places, I thought it could be interesting to share what our favourite foods are.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:10:22 AM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Stiletto

• Administrator
  • Ascended
  • The grass is always greener on the other side
    • Co-founder, Typesetter
Re: Favorite desserts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:51 AM »
Oh, my goodness, I've had asian desserts all my life, which doesn't usually have a very dense kind of sweetness to it but today I had the chance to try red velvet cake. What is the frosting made of? It was so good, I think I ate half of the cake. 
:dreamyhead:
[typesetting]
Otoko no Isshou c11: in progress
Omi-sensei no Binetsu c3: next
Nobody Cry story 2: pending

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »
Oh, my goodness, I've had asian desserts all my life, which doesn't usually have a very dense kind of sweetness to it but today I had the chance to try red velvet cake. What is the frosting made of? It was so good, I think I ate half of the cake. 
:dreamyhead:

Red velvet is often paired with cream cheese frosting.. so divine! That lovely tanginess is a perfect match for the cloyingly sweet cake..  :ohh:

I used to be the biggest fan on mudcake as a child, then I discovered an insatiable desire for all things sweet which swept me into the world of baking and soon I was making all of the classics - cheesecake, pavlova, puddings, cakes of all sorts!

Now as an adult I enjoy trying desserts from every cuisine! I adore Japanese-style fluffy cheesecake and mochi, South American dulce de leche, Chinese steamed buns, Indian nutty, syrupy sweets.. Food is definitely a not-so-secret passion of mine :3!  :lalalala:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »
I've wanted to try mochi for some time now.  :lalalala:
I love cheesecake but when I tried Red Velvet cake, I wasn't impressed. The color was nice though.

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Mochi are delicious! If you enjoy Vietnamese desserts, you'll likely enjoy them too, as they're not too sweet and so wonderfully chewy (in the way tapioca pearls are, rather than toffee). Our local Asian grocer stocks many different flavours, so we always grab some to have with tea! So far we've tried strawberry, matcha, melon, pandan and coconut to name a few..
 :blush:

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:28:12 AM »
I don't have a sweet tooth. /feels so left out
But speaking of Vietnamese desserts, I went to the local Vietnamese grocery store the other week and they had these pink and green fluffy looking things in a plastic wrapper. I'm not sure what they're called, but they looked like mini muffins? I thought those tasted pretty good. Also there was this other dessert that were like white mochi balls that were filled with some sort of caramelized sugar, and it was topped with coconut. It was pretty sweet though. I'm more of a spicy/salty kind of person, but I certainly didn't regret eating those.

Uriel, you should post some pics of the stuff you bake! I don't like to eat sweets, but I really enjoy looking at them.

Quote from: Caro
- Also, this summer, my sister and I discovered this wonderful thing called Pastel de nata, a kind of Portuguese custard pie, and it is delicious

Mm, that definitely sounds like something I'd like to try at least once! I've looked up the recipe and it doesn't seem too difficult to make. I have all the stuff in my kitchen. Guess now all I need is time and a guinea pig to taste-test it...
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
I suspect I have an obsession with food in general, wonderful savoury food is just as appealing sweet to me! Strangely enough, my sense of smell became super-sensitive while pregnant with my second little munchkin and it's stayed potent since.. every meal is a symphony of flavour, texture and smell now!
:nomnom:

Growing up surrounded entirely by European food, I'm naturally drawn to what is "exotic" to me, so when I find myself in an Asian grocery store or restaurant I'm much like a child at an amusement park. I almost cried from joy the first time I tried Kewpie mayonnaise.

Uriel, you should post some pics of the stuff you bake! I don't like to eat sweets, but I really enjoy looking at them.

The problem with this house is that usually no food lasts long enough to be photographed before it's devoured with utmost haste... hahaha! :umm:

I'll have to exercise my ninja photography skills - but any excuse to fill the house with the smell of something delicious will do!

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
But speaking of Vietnamese desserts, I went to the local Vietnamese grocery store the other week and they had these pink and green fluffy looking things in a plastic wrapper. I'm not sure what they're called, but they looked like mini muffins? I thought those tasted pretty good. Also there was this other dessert that were like white mochi balls that were filled with some sort of caramelized sugar, and it was topped with coconut. It was pretty sweet though. I'm more of a spicy/salty kind of person, but I certainly didn't regret eating those.

Oooh, I know these! I love them too!  :dramaqueen:
The secret is to microwave them for a few seconds. Warm, they're absolutely divine! I might have a preference for the white balls but I would devour the coloured things just as easily.

We wanted to try to make Pastel de nata too but didn't have the time before I left for Canada and here, it will be difficult since I don't want to buy cooking ustensils that I would have to throw away before going back to France. So it will have to wait for a few months. But if you make some, show us some pictures!

The problem with this house is that usually no food lasts long enough to be photographed before it's devoured with utmost haste... hahaha! :umm:

I'll have to exercise my ninja photography skills - but any excuse to fill the house with the smell of something delicious will do!

Haha! It's the same with our family. We've learned early on to protect our food and to never, ever arrive late to meals. I've had my dinner eaten by my brothers and father so many times I don't even get angry anymore when it happens. Unsurprisingly, in those cases, no meat ever remains but I always have plenty of soup. It's a good thing I love soup.  But I can't complain too much because I'm guilty of the same thing (though I have yet to eat someone else's dinner). I have to admit that the other day, when my sister cooked meringues, I ate more than half of them. But I couldn't help it! They were perfect, and I love meringues so much I could write a ode about them.  :yesss:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:28:59 PM by Minelauva »

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:05:02 AM »
Haha! It's the same with our family. We've learned early on to protect our food and to never, ever arrive late to meals. I've had my dinner eaten by my brothers and father so many times I don't even get angry anymore when it happens. Unsurprisingly, in those cases, no meat ever remains but I always have plenty of soup. It's a good thing I love soup.  But I can't complain too much because I'm guilty of the same thing (though I have yet to eat someone else's dinner). I have to admit that the other day, when my sister cooked meringues, I ate more than half of them. But I couldn't help it! They were perfect, and I love meringues so much I could write a ode about them.  :yesss:

Knowing you'll be left hungry if you dawdle definitely encourages prompt arrival at the table and mach-speed consumption once you've filled your plate! There's definitely something about men and meat.. all of the male members of my family, as well as my husband, start getting angsty if they're deprived of it for too long. I struggle to imagine much that would make them happier food-wise than a big piece of steak for dinner, but I (not a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination) am not the biggest fan of large slabs of meat. Give me a curry, stir fry or stew any day instead!

Oooh, I could easily polish off most of a batch of meringues myself! Especially the brown sugar variety.. mmhm.  And if the texture is just right - crunchy and dry on the outside and wonderfully gooey on the inside, all the better.
 :cheesy:

I'm a bit of a brown sugar convert, actually, I much prefer it to white or raw. The darker and more aromatic the better.. with those beautiful caramelly notes, yes please!! We buy only brown sugar during grocery shops now.
 :blush:

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
Has anyone ever tried including vanilla essence in pancake batter? I tried a new recipe yesterday and it turned out absolutely divine! Pancake days are so nostalgic for me.. the sound of batter being poured into and spread across a sizzling hot pan reminds me so much of my mother making pancakes for Butter Week every year. She always makes them without a recipe and they are always so delicious! I don't think I'll ever be able to replicate her beautiful, yeasty culinary creations..
 :ohh:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 02:37:19 AM »
Oh, good idea! Pancakes are one of the few things I can make without having to buy cooking utensils. I'm going to make some this week.  :butsubutsu:

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
I don't make them nearly as often as I'd like, but I think I could eat pancakes every day of the week! They're so buttery, golden and sweet! :lalalala:

My favourite type would have to be the yeast blini that all of the little old Russian ladies make so intuitively and naturally. They're made from an unsweet batter (with just a little sugar to help the yeast along) and pair perfectly with any filling.. sour cream, minced meat, jam, stewed apples.. too many favourites to choose from! I'll have to ask around to see what their secret is, mine never seem to turn out quite as nice.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
I usually eat blinis with smoked salmon. So good!  :wildthought: But being able to make my own would be great indeed.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:14:08 AM »
Recently, I tried baking a pumpkin pie. It was my first time eating some too. I had wanted to try for a while and since I am currently in Canada, it was the perfect time. It didn't taste bad, but I will have to try again with another kind of pumpkin. The one I chose was probably too bitter.

Uriel

• Staff
  • Ascended
    • Cleaner
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
I looove pumpkin, but there's not a tradition here in Australia of making it into dessert, so pumpkin pie is unexplored territory for me! When I make pumpkin soup, though, I make it with butternut pumpkin and it turns out so beautifully sweet and creamy.. maybe you could try a similar variety, Mine?

A few weeks ago I made macarons with my baking buddy! They were awfully pretty but I found myself a little underwhelmed. I've had them a few times before, but every time I expect them to be amazing.. and they're not. Don't get me wrong, they're nice, and I love the contrast of the crunch of the shells and silkiness of the buttercream or ganache, but I fail to understand why they became such a big trend!

On Wednesday I went out for Mexican with my husband, and we rounded off our perfect meal with some banana emplanadas, which I'd never tried before. Ohhhh my! They were absolutely divine! So warm, moist, sweet, fragrant and delicious, with a tiny note of saltiness from the butter.. I believe I'm in love!  :aww: