August 20, 2019, 03:37:05 AM

Author Topic: TV shows & dramas  (Read 714509 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Re: TV shows & dramas
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
They do! That's how I watched the first season actually.

Unexpectedly, I didn't like the new episode of TMP. I was not even relieved by the break-up because I had been expecting it for a while. Mindy and Danny's relationship was clearly presented to us as endgame but Mindy and Jody's wasn't. I'm still glad. I don't like Jody's character so it would be a good thing if he appeared less. I wonder if they will try to replace Danny though. As sad as it is, since it's supposed to be an homage to rom-coms, the show seems bland without a main love interest.

The idea behind the current storyline is rather good. Prince Charming doesn't exist and choosing to be alone is better than settling down. I've always liked the fact that Mindy is a successful, independent woman and that her job is so important to her that the show revolves around her workplace. But Danny's behavior in the latest episode was simply not believable to me. It completely destroys what was built during the first three seasons. It was so exaggerated I don't think I would have believed it even if it had been a new character. It was probably the first time Messina's acting was truly bad. There were no nuances and I could tell he wasn't into it. It was probably too different from the way he had built the character. Danny is a catholic man with a strong moral sense. He can be stubborn and set in his ways but he's not selfish and self-centered. That's Mindy's weak point, not his, so he would never act that way. I think what disappoints me the most is not Mindy and Danny's break-up, it's the way it was handled. It was completely out of character for Danny. But I also think Danny would never have given up on a relationship and on the chance to have a family just because he refused to compromise, so I'm clearly not objective. After the way Danny's character was butchered though, I really hoping he won't appear much in the future.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:32:43 PM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »
I can't stop watching The Expanse. It's so good! It's a very good sci-fi show, realistic and understated.  I love how they're not desperately trying to copy HBO's approach. :puppyeye:

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2016, 07:31:53 AM »
I'm on a period drama binge again. I seriously failed to finish Gran Hotel Season 3 before Netflix mercilessly tore it from my grip. I was in the middle of the fifth to the last episode, and they removed it. Bah! But I don't think I'll miss it. Season 3 was an abomination. The only good thing going was feisty and virginal Maite (minus the anachronistic pants). It was so anti-climactic not having the "last battle" be between Julio and Diego. As cliche as it sounds, it's what would have made it right. Instead, we're introduced to a completely new bad guy who has gained little sympathy from me and  whom has turned Diego into a neutered caricature of himself. No, it was fine for them to take it away.

I fell in love with The Crown (2016) and short-lived Lilies (2007), but it's now Turkish drama, Lovebird, that has captured my attention.

At first I really hated the main character, Feride, as a child. The hell is wrong with her? I thought. Why can't she just listen to what people tell her to do? Why is she always so naughty and moody? I clucked and admonished her with my tongue. But then I realized that this annoying brat reminded me of the child I was, always throwing tantrums, running around with the boys, and perpetually caught on camera with a pout or arms crossed. Damn, I was an annoying little kid.

I still disliked Child Feride, but at least now I could identify with her.

The cousin, Kamran, grew up into one of the most beautiful men I've ever laid eyes on. I'm sorry, Kamran. Whenever you are onscreen, I'm not sure I'm even hearing what you were saying because I am too busy staring at your face. But I'm only kidding. He's a precocious character who always has a bit of a twinkle in his eyes when he smiles at Feride. I know they are cousins, but why do I find their relationship so beautiful and poetic rather than incestuous and horrifying?

Mine: The Expanse is not available for those of us in the US yet. You're making me sad.  :wahhh:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:28:27 AM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:37 PM »
Speaking of period dramas, I started watching a new show on Netflix today, Cable Girls. I only watched the first episode so far but it was not bad at all. It has a lot of similarities with Gran Hotel so I wasn't surprised to learn that it has the same director and producers.

Edit: I finished watching the first eight episodes. The plot is completely unbelievable but that's part of the appeal. There are love triangles (plural because there are several couples), star-crossed lovers, rivals, betrayals, friendships... I have to admit I have a weakness for Yon Gonzales. If I were the heroine, I wouldn't hesitate for one second, but then there would be no show.  :wildthought:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:16:12 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 03:05:49 AM »
I have it queued up on Netflix. After I finish Calikusu I'm definitely definitely going to see this one!  :ohh:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
As promised, I finished Cable Girls Season 1. Yon Gonzales has aged a little too well, damnit. And the good thing is that I feel he has a little more depth in this series than in Gran Hotel. His motivations are still unclear, and like Alba, I can't trust him but am drawn to him. (That butt-grab though!  :huh:)I'm surprised at how much I like the second male lead. I want to see him claw his way up to the top. I love the friendship between the four female characters, although I was pretty shocked at how raunchy it got. I think the only thing that didn't work out for me was the music. There's nothing wrong with using contemporary music for a period piece. Just that their choices were all wrong (for me). Still, when the trailer dropped for Season 2, I was shivering with excitement. Nothing going to stop me from seeing it now.

This week, I was in bed sick for a few days. While I was QC'ing on my laptop, I had A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 1 playing on the Netflix app on my TV. I should not have ended with the Lemony Snicket series, because that cliffhanger in Ep 7 put my heart through the wringer. I mean, I have not recuperated ever since.