November 21, 2019, 09:46:15 PM

Author Topic: TV shows & dramas  (Read 715120 times)

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
Re: TV shows & dramas
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 02:47:48 AM »
Coyocam, I especially love Orphan Black. Have been watching it since season 1. Now I have to catch up this season. Haven't gotten a chance to find some time to watch it. I did try to watch Orange is the New Black, even though the characters are interesting but I'm not a fan of prison setting. Too depressing for me, lol, to think they are locked up. Another show I love is Walking Dead (I know, it's depressing but it's compelling for me for some reason).

I basically stopped watching USA tv shows because not having enough time and it's hard for me to watch episode by episode basis. I rather wait until the series is over then I'll do a season to see if I want to continue. I had several bad experiences of watching a season of a tv show then it all went to hell in season 2 or beyond storyline-wise. Heroes is a good example.  :huh:

Coffee Prince, of course, had several and predictable little conflicts but they had a decent ending. Better than most k-dramas had (rushed ending or nonsensical ending).

Hats, I did look into J-Dramas (same for taiwanese dramas) but there were more misses than good ones. Enough to scare me away. I care less about appearances as long as they can act. I did hear about Rich Man, Poor Woman and that drama got good reviews so I plan on checking it out. Let me know if there are good/not half bad j-dramas that you think I should try. I hope this summer...... And that one that you suggested, Liar Game (which version?). I will check out Misaeng and Hogu's Love (I heard it's cute drama).

Updated: Nov 18, 2019

In Progress : [Cleaning]

Suppli 13: cleaned, RDs
Suppli 14: cleaned, RDs
Suppli 15: 5/35
Haikoiri 4: cleaned, RDs
Haikoiri 5: 10/60
Nina My Love 21: 0/15 RDs
Love Master X 3: 0/24 RDs
Love Master X 4: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 5: 33/34
Kiyoku 5a: 50/51
Kiyoku 5b: 0/20 RDs

Typesetting:
Suppli 2: 0/32

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
coco: Small talk seems kind of adorable. But it sucks that he doesn't like sci-fi or fantasy. I don't like to write off an entire genre because what if I miss out on a good story? Doesn't matter the setting. I'm big on films, but I have to admit I have never seen LotR or the Matrix series either. I didn't even go to see Cloud Atlas (by the same directors as The Matrix) even though I read the book. I hope you can slowly and gradually break the guy into the sci-fi/fantasy genre though...if you even get to see him again?

You and Swirly keep mentioning Orphan Black. I don't stream most American shows. I wait to buy the series. Like I waited until House M.D. finished its entire original run before buying it... Crazy, I know. I might actually buy the series when it goes on sale at Amazon.  :cheesy:

As for kdramas (once again), I'm still basking in the glow of uber-cuteness that is Myung-Soo and Soo Jin (Ex-Girlfriend Club). The sweet revelation at the end of the series tied things up perfectly, and I think I must have died and resurrected myself a couple times from happiness.

The Liar Game I was talking about was the Korean one. I heard they took a more serious approach to the series, making it a thriller of sorts, and rather than being an underground syndicate, the game is hosted on national televison as a reality game show.

As for J-dramas, it's hard to list them because the general focus is on Chinese and Korean dramas these days, so it's hard to find them online with English subs.

Definitely watch Rich Man, Poor Woman though. It's pretty good.

The other ones I absolutely loved are:

- Woman: About a young woman who loses her husband and has to raise two children on her own. I love the direction of this story. The kids are cute. The relationships between each character is complicated. The flashbacks that shed light on her and her dead husband had me so emotional.

- Soredemo Ikite Yuku: About two young, socially awkward people who reunite 15 years after the girl's brother murdered the guy's younger sister. This one is pretty hard to recc, only because it is sometimes very painful to watch and will test your patience. I cried watching a few scenes. But the cinematography is poignant and beautiful, and the characters are, if not totally relatable, then easy to sympathize with. 

And other notable mentions:
Housekeeper Mita, Hotaru no Hikari, Nodame Cantabile, A Million Stars Falling From the Sky, Power of Love, Slow Dance, Koi ga Shitaix3, Ashita ga Mama wa Inai, Mother, argh too many.

Like I said, you will probably not see them on stream sites. Wish they did have them. There are a lot of good series. Maybe not with better production quality as Korea, but the acting and tight scripts creates some unique and unforgettable stories.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:33:04 AM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
I'm probably the only one here who watches almost exclusively american tv shows, with the occasional british one, and I'm French. :wahaha:
There was a time when I used to watch a lot of J- and K-dramas, but after a while, I started being bothered by the fact that the storylines and actors were always the same. It's funny how people change, because at the beginning, that's precisely what I liked about those. I guess I found it reassuring, as with the fairytales that I used to read again and again when I was a child, even though I already knew them by heart. Though I probably also got fed up with having to wait or look for subtitles.
But if streaming sites didn't exist, and I had to buy every show I watch, I would probably be far more picky. I would convince my younger brother to buy Game of Thrones with me and that would be it.
As it is, I just finished watching iZombie, which, despite its title, wasn't bad at all, better than I expected, and am about to start with the new season of Orange is the new black. I tried watching Orphan Black a while ago but I gave up before finishing the first season. It just wasn't for me. I also tried watching Downton Abbey more recently. It reminded me of Gran Hotel, but in a more ambitious, british version. However, the charm of Gran Hotel was due to the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously and Downton Abbey clearly had great ambitions. I got bored.

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »
Coyocam, I especially love Orphan Black.
Coyocam. I like it!  :lalalala:
Another Orphan Black fan! YEY :D
I get not being into the Orange is the New Black thing. I like the show, both for the witty dialogue/quirky characters, but also for the vignettes that show each character's respective backstories, kinda like Cold Case. But it's hard for me to keep up with and to pick back up. I'm on episode 9 or something in the first season and I watch it when I need a break and don't feel like any of my other hobbies/followings.

Homg, Hatsumimi, you make those shows sound very appealing. @_@ Now I can queue these dramas up on my to-watch list! Without recs, I probably wouldn't pick up any dramas.

You and Swirly keep mentioning Orphan Black. I don't stream most American shows. I wait to buy the series. Like I waited until House M.D. finished its entire original run before buying it... Crazy, I know. I might actually buy the series when it goes on sale at Amazon.
This goes along with what I know about you from what you've written in update posts. O_O Still, you'd probably want to test out a couple episodes on stream first to make sure you're interested in the series before purchasing the entire thing, right?

coco: Small talk seems kind of adorable. But it sucks that he doesn't like sci-fi or fantasy. I don't like to write off an entire genre because what if I miss out on a good story? Doesn't matter the setting. I'm big on films, but I have to admit I have never seen LotR or the Matrix series either. I didn't even go to see Cloud Atlas (by the same directors as The Matrix) even though I read the book. I hope you can slowly and gradually break the guy into the sci-fi/fantasy genre though...if you even get to see him again?
I started him off on Samurai Champloo and Wolf Children for now to stick to what I thought he would like based on what he's watched in the past (Miyazaki and those popular long-running action series). If I do see him again, though, which is a question anyway, I'll probably force him to sit through trials of various sci-fi series to test if he'd like any.

He's a bit older than me though so we'd stick to the friends idea. >w< Hats, he's your age! He also works in LA, although he commutes from Orange County. Lemme know if you want me to hook you two up ;) He does have a decent face on him. I'm not sure if he's looking to date since it sounds like he recently broke up (a year ago, so recently-ish). I can definitely probe to find out though :O O: :O

I tried watching Orphan Black a while ago but I gave up before finishing the first season. It just wasn't for me
NOOOOO
Now I understand how people feel when someone rejects their favorite show T_T

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »
Coco, youíre not just trying to lump us old folks together cause weíre old are you? :bow:  How wide is the age gap between you two? Iím sorry but what I was angling for was a romance between you two, not with myself. Iíve never met a guy who didnít take a girlís reccs without having some feelings for her. Heck, I havenít taken reccs from anyone unless I LIKED them as a person. Thatís why I canít help wonderingÖwhat if?

I honestly donít know where they stream Japanese shows, but I did a little digging and hereís a site that hosts the ones I was talking about:

http://doramax264.com/19544/woman-j-drama-2013/

I would definitely give Woman a try because Hikari Mitsushima is an amazing actress. Although I love Eita, she stole the spotlight (and my heart) in the 2011 drama, Soredemo Ikite Yuku, and roped in this lead role for this drama in 2013. Iím glad they recognized her worth. She definitely can carry a lead role. The other one I'm really big on if you like speculative fiction is Keizoku SPEC 2 with Ryo Kase and Toda Erika. It'll definitely get your blood pumping.

@Minelauva: Oh, man, Downtown Abbey s1-2 was pure gold. What it became after was just pure crap, especially with Dan Stevens exiting his role the way he did in Season 3.

I recently bought Mr. Selfridge Seasons 1&2 from Wal-mart at a steal. Have you heard of that show? Oh, and the other one I bought on a whim was Broadchurch Season 1 (British version). Iím pretty ignorant of the actors, including David Tennant (for shame). But Iíve been pretty good at putting these off for now while I work on scanlations. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:15:13 PM by Hats »

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 07:03:20 AM »
Coco, youíre not just trying to lump us old folks together cause weíre old are you? :bow:  How wide is the age gap between you two? Iím sorry but what I was angling for was a romance between you two, not with myself. Iíve never met a guy who didnít take a girlís reccs without having some feelings for her. Heck, I havenít taken reccs from anyone unless I LIKED them as a person. Thatís why I canít help wonderingÖwhat if?
:cheesy:
Just kidding. I think it's more like I'm one of those twisted people who get a wicked sense of gratification from matchmaking and I just hadn't discovered it until now since I haven't had the opportunity due to my limited male acquaintances.
:kekeke:
I apologize for giving into that impulse.

In any case, to answer your question, he and I are eight years apart: he's 29 and I'm 21. But I think we're rather too similar in personality, both reserved and mundane people. Normally another introverted person wold be a plus in my book, but in this case there wasn't a lot of chemistry. Maybe if we had met under different circumstances I might have been interested.

I'll give those shows a shot sometime, Hats :3

We started another show during thesis boredom, called 'Masters of Sex.' Don't get the wrong impression! There are some raunchy scenes but it has a good (albeit mostly invented) story. Set in mid-century America and based on two real individuals who were sex research pioneers during that time. I cried ugly sobs at the ending of episode 5.  :wahhh: We had a hard time resisting watching too much more of it when we should be focusing on thesis.

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 02:50:45 AM »
Mad Men dipped to the $7-$8 price range on Amazon, and I splurged on Seasons 1-6. I know it's crazy, but this is what I'll be tackling next. I haven't touched the sealing keeping the DVDs safely tucked away from my anxious eyes. I've already promised myself I would get through some scripts and QC's first. But I'm really excited to be watching this drama, and I've done a really good job of ignoring coworkers when they were talking about it at work, so I feel like I'm going into this with a really fresh mind.

Still battling my GoT wariness. I bought the first book on Kindle to drum up some interest. I feel like whether I watch the TV show will depend on whether I like the book or not.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
Tell me if you like the book! I've been hesitating to read it. It seems good, but incredibly long.
You already know what I think about the show. It's definitely not perfect, but it raises some interesting points.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
I was excited when I learned that The Mindy Project started again but I've been bit disappointed about the first episodes. The tone of the series has shifted slightly. The show is now more focused about Mindy and Dany's relationship and the secondary characters, who added a lot of charm to the first seasons, are barely present. It was also unsettling that things evolved so fast between them after such a slow start. I thought the pregnancy would last for most of the season. Instead, it barely lasted two episodes.  :huh:
I can't wait for Reign to start again. The second half of the latest season wasn't particularly interesting. The show started to take itself far too seriously for my taste. Besides, the twists in the story were handled particularly badly. But there are still good elements (Megan Follows!) so I'm looking forward to the start of season 3. It's the perfect occasion for a fresh start.
Meanwhile, I've been watching Mr. Selfridge.  :mecool:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 03:01:15 AM »
I'm actually excited Hulu decided to pick up TMP, Caro, but now that you mentioned the shifting focus, it's a bit of a downer. I was hoping they'd expand on the other characters, since the cast - excluding Danny and Mindy - still feel like caricatures. Don't get me wrong, I love Danny and Mindy together. That's one of my biggest reasons for continuing to watch the series. That strip-tease Danny did for Mindy before hopping into bed at the beginning of s3? Left me smiling for weeks.  :kekeke: BUT I wanted the show to feel more "real". I know it's a sitcom, and I shouldn't expect too much, but I can't help wishing for more.

A friend of mine pitched "Fresh Off the Boat" to me because she said the family reminded her of my family, so I've been catching a few eps on Amazon. I find it hilariously relatable. The dad wanting to own a cowboy restaurant totally reminds me of my dad's insatiable dream of becoming a Texas cowboy. I hardly watch family sitcoms, but this one was just too interesting to miss out on.

I don't know what is up with my sleep schedule though. Recently I've been feeling sleepy ALL the time, and nothing gets done. I'm still stuck on Ep2 of UK's State of Play (the TV version with James McAvoy). It took me two weeks to watch ONE episode. Now you've even beat me to Selfridge! It's still in shrink-wrap on my shelf! Eek!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:05:29 AM by Hats »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »
I finished watching season 2 of Mr. Selfridge then I decided to take a break. It's good but after watching two seasons, the show was starting to become predictable.
I like Fresh off the boat. It's enjoyable as far as sitcoms go, and I await each episode eagerly. I can't really relate to it, but that's part of its appeal to me.
I also started to watch Dominion. I'm about to finish season 1. It's not bad, but I find its character development a bit lacking.
About TMP, I love watching the evolution of Mindy and Danny's relationship, but as you pointed out, it's the only thing in the show that feels real. The other characters are only here to add some comic relief here and there. It's such a shame. I still enjoy watching it though.

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 03:17:12 AM »
I'm half-way through Season 1, Part 1 of Outlander. I kept having trouble getting the video to load on my new Kindle Fire 8 HD though, so I gave up midway through Epi 5. Anyway, it's a pretty good show but I don't really find the sex scenes tasteful. I'm not asking them to take it away completely but sometimes it felt like I was watching soft-core porn. That's only a small portion of the beginning, so it wasn't enough to detract me from enjoying the rest of it. I'm a sucker for time travel, and this being based on the series by Diana Gabaldon, I was eager to see it. Damn, that guy who plays Jamie McTavish is hot. He is just way too hot, even in a tartan. But then again, I've always had a thing for kilts and tartans...  :cheesy:

I haven't watched anything on Syfy recently except for Continuum. I'll have to check out Dominion if I've got enough moola by next month. It looks pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:48:51 AM by Hats »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »
I originally posted it in the cbox, but thought better to move it here. There's so much ranting I need to get off my chest. I had a lot of pent up sadness over the loss of my cat (weird, I know), and I thought I'd watch a show to laugh it off only to walk away really pissed off...

I forgot all about TMP moving from FOX to Hulu, and didn't realize the show was even back until the entire season 4 popped up on my Amazon Video recommendations. You can't believe how excited I was! Last thing I remembered was Danny flying all the way to India to knock on Mindy's parents' door.

So, yes, of course I'd buy the entire season! I knew I'd love it because I thought I'd get to see the magic that Danny and Mindy create whenever they're on-screen together, whether they're bickering, spouting corny stuff, or in a deep and serious conversation with each other. But all that flew out the window after their breakup. Don't get me wrong, I get why they may have seemed "so wrong" for each other. But the "magic" was in the line that Danny said in Season 3, how they make each other better people. I mean, come on, Mindy's not that likable herself either. They both seemed perfect together because they were both changing to become better people together. That was the point.

I did feel they were rushing Danny and Mindy's relationship too fast in Season 2-3. FOX was threatening to cancel the show, so they never knew whether it would be renewed for another season or not. So for me, Danny and Mindy were meant to be endgame.

These latest developments in Season 4 really killed off the love I originally had for the show. I get that they broke up, but why are they so desperate to try and ERASE all the good memories we had of Mindy and Danny? I was invested in their relationship since its genesis in 2012. I feel like I was the one in the relationship and am feeling all the stages of grief that comes with a breakup. How am I supposed to move on so fast? I don't know. The way it's going, I don't even care if she chooses Jody. They've retconned the hell out of Danny, to the point where neither Mindy nor Danny are missing the so-called friendship they've built with each other over the last three seasons.

I know that making him out to be a villain will make it easier for most of the audience to see Danny exit, but Jody's not the right guy. At least not for me. I just don't see the spark. Hopefully they find THE ONE for Mindy. I don't want another case like Ally Mcbeal where Robert Downey Jr's character who was meant to be Ally's endgame got into that drug scandal and had to be kicked off the show. So they ended it with her and Jon Bon Jovi - but no! They ended it with her choosing to be a single mom to a daughter that mysteriously appears at her door. Right now it just feels like the writers were pissed at Chris Messina and took it out on him in the script.

One good thing that I did get out of Season 4 is more Jeremy. He's actually got some character now, and I feel he's finally part of the crew.

Do I want to invest in another season of TMP? I don't know. I think I'm just going to wait to see what other viewers say once it returns to Hulu tomorrow. I don't want Danny to be just another hot ex/sex partner for Mindy. He deserves way more than that. But I know it would be hard to keep him in the show now that he's finally getting meatier roles in serious film... If anything, I'm keeping my Seasons 1-3 DVDS, and I'm going to just convince myself that FOX cancelled the show and it never got picked up and all of this is just a bad dream.

/end rant  :butsubutsu:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:31:50 AM by Hats »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »
I was also extremely disappointed by TMP's latest season. It used to be my favorite show but now, I don't even care anymore that it's starting again soon.
I don't understand why they basically chose to write Danny off the show. It doesn't make sense to me. It wasn't even a way to give Mindy's character more development. The show just took a new start, and not a good one in my opinion. Mindy is even more shallow than before because her relationship with Danny used to give her more depth. For three seasons, she and Danny felt like the only well developed characters of the show. Their relationship was the only thing that felt real about the show. They tried to compensate by giving more development to the other characters but didn't succeed. Now, Mindy just seems as fake as the other characters.
I also basically chose to ignore season 4 and consider the ending of season 3 as the true ending of the show because what happens afterwards just doesn't make sense to me.
I honestly don't understand why they let Chris Messina go though. He was the best actor in the show. He gives life to the scenes he stars in. Without him, the show is clearly lacking something. Mindy has charm but she's not such a great actress. She clearly can't carry the show on her own and having all these secondary characters revolve around her doesn't help. The only reasonable explanation is that Chris Messina chose to appear less. Maybe he had other projects, maybe there was a disagreement with the producers when they renegociated his contract, who know...
 :shaded:

Since TMP was so disappointing last year, I started watching other shows. I've been following The 100, on the CW, for two years and it's not bad at all. It's not perfect. Some mistakes were clearly made, especially in the latest season, but it's still a very good sci-fi show. It's really entertaining. Well-written shows about teenagers are quite rare. I really like the fact that romantic relationships are important in the show, which makes sense, without being central. The two main characters are clearly meant to be endgame but their relationship is built on trust instead of attraction. It's compelling.

I also like Fresh off the boat and Jane the virgin but don't really feel emotionnally invested in them;
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:51:36 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 04:47:27 AM »
Technically, they didn't kick Messina off the show, so you're right about him choosing to appear less. He's busy filming for Ben Affleck's film Live By Night (2017). Messina hasn't promoted for TMP in a year, his film career is advancing steadily, and it seems like the audience absolutely hates Danny now anyway. It's like they all got zapped with a memory-erasing neuralyzer a la Men in Black. Writing him off is inevitable, but I think that's what everybody - Chris, Mindy, and the writers - want.

Now that I've had some time to cool my head off, I do realize that it was a pipe dream to want a beautiful rom-com out of an American sit-com. I was hoping for too much, and only paving the way for my own disappointment. I read spoilers on today's premiere episode on Hulu, and it seems like they at least made the right choice in ***BIG SPOILER*********having Mindy ditch Jody Kimball-Kenny****END SPOILER***. There was no spark between them. I know it's a train-wreck, but I still want to see how it all plays out in the end...

Ugh, I hate myself for even saying that.

The 100 seems like a good, solid sci-fi that I'm willing to get into. I'm not sure why I never heard about it though. It's got plenty of great reviews on Amazon, so I'm going to purchase the first episode and see if I like it enough to continue. I wish I hadn't spent so much money on anime this year, so I could see more shows. Do they have it on Netflix?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:49:24 AM by Hats »