May 22, 2019, 10:52:39 AM

Author Topic: TV shows & dramas  (Read 713544 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Re: TV shows & dramas
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 02:11:15 AM »
Haha, regarding Firefly, its short length is exactly what convinced me to watch it. :D Longer series tend to scare me away. Even when I like them, I usually watch one, two seasons at most, then give up.

But you're right Hats, my siblings, like eveyone else, know the most famous SW references, especially since I tend to quote the movies during the most random conversations. That's why I was surprised when they told me they had never seen any of the movies, even the newer ones. They grew up listening to me mention "Chewie" and they never even thought to ask who it was...   :noserunning:

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
I started watching Pretty Little Liars. I liked it at the beginning. It's quite addictive. However, it ends up being very repetitive. In a way, it's very similar to Gossip Girl. I felt like the writers were playing with us, constantly baiting us with this mysterious A and the killer, and always finding new developments. They could easily keep this up for ten more seasons. I ended up dropping it after finishing the first season.  :givenup:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
Shameless started again. I really like this show. I can sort of see myself in Fiona. She's a very touching character. The father is hopeless though. It can lead to funny scenes but he's not particularly interesting in terms of character development.

Reign is still as ridiculously distracting as ever, but I'm getting tired of Francis. This character is completely uninteresting. Sadly, since he can't just die or disappear, the writers keep struggling with him. :umm:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:05:36 PM by Minelauva »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
I find myself facing a dilemma. Watching the leaked episodes of season 5 of Game of Thrones, and subsequently having nothing to watch for a month, or waiting and knowing that I could find out what happens next easily.  :whatwhat:
On another note, I'm surprised Reign got renewed for a third season. When I started watching it, I didn't think it would last past the first season. I wonder what the writers will invent next. Maybe they will finally kill off Francis. The latest episode got my hopes up.  :grin:

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 12:51:30 AM »
Oh, man, GoT must be super addictive, lol. That means I will have to stay away from it for at least another month since I have loads of work to catch up on, and I want to finish reading some novels in my kindle.  :wahhh:

I'm not sure this counts as a TV show, it's more like variety, but my friend and older sister got me into Running Man and now I am absolutely in love with the cast! According to her, Lee Kwang Soo and I not only share the same birth date year, but we are also equally and mysteriously "unfortunate." And after 227 episodes, I am no longer able to disagree with her. At first she started me off on Episode 190-something, but plopping me down in the middle of something is never a good idea. People tend to grow on me over time, which needed to happen in this case. I put off watching it for two years after her initial intro, only to rediscover the second episode with Song Ji Hyo on youtube, and now I can't...seem...to...stop.

Gaki no Tsukai will always be my bae (already hating self for using the word), but the Running Man cast is a great runner up.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:55:38 AM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 05:01:53 PM »
*laughs* I love Running Man too! I started watching it about two years ago after I was searching something new to watch online, I discovered a gem called korean dramas. So... ever since I'm addicted to korean dramas and variety shows. Currently I'm re-watching k-drama called City Hall, I just love that show.

Btw I love Monday couple (I know it's not real but it's fun to watch them).

I can't afford to watch too much of tv or I won't get anything done.   :umm: :huh:
Updated: April 4, 2019

In Progress : [Cleaning]

Suppli 13: 44/45
Suppli 14: cleaned, RDs
Haikoiri 4: 59/63
Haikoiri 5: 1/?
Nina My Love 21: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 3: cleaned, RDs
Love Master X 4: 17/39
Love Master X 5: 5/34
Kiyoku 5a: cleaned, RDs
Kiyoku 5b: 20/41

Typesetting:
Suppli 2: 0/32

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
I think I was kind of secretly hoping Ji Hyo and Haha would be a couple... I honestly believe that if Ji Hyo had not been dating her CEO, something would have happened with those two. There was some obvious mutual attraction from both sides. But well Haha is married now and I love Monday Couple, so it's all good. Ep 237 when Haha cupped Ji Hyo's face in his hands after they won a game had me squeeing inside though... :eto:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »
A little part of me is dying inside because Ex-Girlfriend Club got cut to 12 episodes. Even though that is standard for Japanese dramas, and I'm usually reluctant but willing to let go and just savor the series in memory...I am too in love with Myung Soo and Soo Jin to "let go" just yet. What other Kdrama OTP could possibly get me past the first three episodes? NONE BUT THEM. I even went so far as to post about it on one of the streaming sites even though I don't like to post around a lot. This twenty-nine year old hopeless romantic highly approves of the drama and its quirky and sensitive soundtrack as well.

Ugh, I cannot get enough of their cuteness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kyoP1lI3Mo
 :butsubutsu:
This rom-com is up-to-par in terms of character and dialogue with one of my ultimate favorite Japanese rom-coms Slow Dance.

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »
Hats,
      I have heard alot about this k-drama (very good reviews), haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet. Sounds like you rarely enjoy a k-drama or more picky with it than I am.

Just one for you, wow..... As for OTPs, as for me, since I watched a lot of k-dramas, few I can call it as my favorites. Coffee Prince, City Hall, The Healer, My Love From Another Star, Pinocchio, I Hear Your Voice and others. I guess I'm more flexible and some storylines can be a little farfetched or had some "ok" ending. But I enjoyed watching the OTPs and will watch again.    :blush:

Typesetting:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »
Yeah I'm pretty picky because I have so little time to watch tv. I can only do it when I'm scanning chapters.  :wahhh: Honestly I was about to call this drama quits at epi 2, but was loathed to part with Myung Soo. Byun Yo Han is a chameleon. Could not have asked for a better actor. My top favorite tv actor will always be Eita for his versatility and ability to transform himself into his character, but BYH definitely wins in the eye candy dept. By epi 5, my heart was exploding with the feels.

Next I have to watch My Love From Another Star with my sister though because I promised. How is the acting in that drama?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:28:11 AM by Hats »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »
Actually, I'm going to retract my earlier statement of having never watched a kdrama. There was one I saw a little less than a decade ago, before this one: Someday with Bae Doo Na. She was my girl crush from the Japanese teen film, Linda, Linda, Linda (from the same director as A Gentle Breeze in the Village). I also own the entire series of White Tower (medical drama), which is collecting dust as I type, but will be watched soon! Someday! Soon!

The second thing I should retract is my reason for not watching kdramas. It's hard to root out the source of my bias, and I am ulitimately biased against kdramas. /ashamed.

I am convinced that most kdramas are romances, while I prefer the beautifully (yet painfully) SLOW character studies of stuff where the two main leads, even if they are in love, are emotionally-retarded and can't express their feelings, and the romance, if any, is  usually a subplot. (I'm talking about you Soredemo, Ikite Yuku). I also like dramas where the supporting characters are not caricatures but "real people." And the ones my friends and older sister tell me to watch that they THINK I'll like always ends up disappointing me. So that's why. I think Someday and Ex-Gf Club have reopened that door though. It was closed tight, but not anymore. I'm definitely going to try out the ones you've listed, one at a time, a couple of epis every Monday night.

SwirlyOwl

• Staff
    • Editor
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 01:07:13 AM »
I completely do understand about being biased against k-dramas. With typical heroine being so clueless about love or search for love, leading men being assholes then suddenly become a good guy, supporting casts who try to get in between OTPs or being backstabbing people or whatever.

Unfortunately, almost all k-dramas have that main focus on love.  :umm: I just focus on good characters/supporting characters and good storylines.

My Love From Another Star, unfortunately, has that typical storyline that mainly focus on falling in love and bitchy second female lead. But what makes it slightly better than all those dramas, the chemistry btw OTPs, awesome acting from female lead (male lead was a little much stoic/blank faced too much for my taste) and I do like supporting characters, unique premise that the leading man can do things that no one can do and humorous moments. So not sure on this one for you liking it so you are on your own to decide if you want to see it.

Coffee Prince, same idea, but it starts out with friendship (with a little lie) that develop into confusion/falling in love later but this one, I love supporting cast.  :blush:

Not sure you will like Pinocchio or I Hear Your Voice. Based on your recent statement.  :huh:

Maybe on City Hall and The Healer. As for Healer, the romance is actually a subplot that slowly develop over the time while it mainly focus on the growth of a leading man and his story.

I heard so much good things about Punch (romance is practically nonexistent in this one) and will find some time to watch it.

Really, it's matter of your taste and weeding thru typical and predictable dramas. That's why I don't waste my time watching it, instead I weed out by reading reviews and watch it if the reviews has captured my interest.

Typesetting:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 11:09:29 PM »
I don't mind romance, even the mushy kind. I just want it when it's done right. The sad fact is, Korea gets romance. Romance in Japan is emotionally-constipated. Or all about sex. Or too open-ended. And the guys are never really "hot". I get that, really I do.  Like what happened with one of my oldie fave Jdramas, I Want To Love, I Want to Love, I Want to Love. It ends with the girl getting the guy? But, no, she does but she doesn't at the same time. Throughout the whole show he was sleeping with some other woman, and then at the end when he finally realizes he's in love with her, and she runs toward him at the airport...they had the nerve to stop the drama right when she was about to jump into his arms!

Japan made it up to me with Rich Man, Poor Woman. It's just that Oguri Shun is not exactly eye-candy for me, lol.

And then there's the other sad fact, that Japanese men have a hard time expressing affection. This is true in most cases. So just like one of the side-characters in Slow Dance who reeled off on Japanese men, saying to the crowd at her table that they were the reason why Japanese women are now going after Korean guys, I am now starting to watch Kdramas.  :cool:

BUT when I crave an emotional, heart-wrenching drama not focused on romance, I know I'll go back to Jdrama.  :wildthought:

I'll get to wrap up Ex-Gf club this weekend, do some scanlating, and then next week I start Misaeng and My Love From Another Star. Like I said, I don't mind romance, so I want to see the ones you listed. I also heard, to my dismay that they remade  Liar Game in Korea. I was way too invested in Matsuda Shota and Toda Erika's portrayal of the characters, so I'm a little wary to try this one, but these kdrama fans are saying that it's not as bad as I imagined and can stand on it's own ground.

Have you seen that one yet?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:17:50 PM by Hats »

badzphoto

• Staff
    • Proofreader
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »
I finished watching Dr. Coto on Crunchyroll and enjoyed it quite a lot, some much that I want to read the manga! The manga is available in French all 25 volumes of them!!!
Of course, being JDrama, the key word is drama, there's a drama in each episode. I enjoy the characters all the same.
Hope everyone have a nice weekend.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:04:52 AM by badzphoto »

cocoyam

• Comrade
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 01:42:05 AM »
I second Coffee Prince!

... Sadly, I have never been able to watch through an entire kdrama. Coffee Prince was the drama I got furthest into. My interest dropped after the main conflict was resolved and the drama moved onto little conflicts, etc. :-( I was almost at the end!

Other dramas I've watched partway through are My Name is Samsoon, Flower Boy next Door.. Oops, I can't remember the rest. /: But, those are decently good and sustain my attention for a little bit before the cliches catch up to me and I lose interest. The other one that I loved is a Taiwanese drama, It Started with a Kiss (based on Itazura no Kiss). I got partway on that one. I think there were a couple eps missing in the middle and it was getting a wee bit dramatic, so I stopped there.

Korea made a decent movie adaption of Antique Bakery, I think.

In terms of TV, I've been watching Orphan Black and Orange is the New Black. I think I'm the reverse of the usual case people have: it's harder for me to get into live action than 2d animation. But I love Orphan Black and watch it whenever a new episode comes out!    :ohh:

Orphan Black is this sci-fi show about these female clones who are all portrayed by one actress, Tatiana Maslany. It's really cool to see her execute their different personalities, and I love the endearing characters and their witty and entertaining quirks/dialogue. (Especially Felix, the gay adopted brother of the main character Sarah. He's hot gay and pretending to be straight.) It plays up the suspense with the sci-fi premise well and has a lot of plot twists.

There was a guy who came over and we were making small talk. He doesn't like sci-fi or fantasy (although he's watched One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc. the popular ones). How could he?!?! I was listing off movies I had never seen, which others typically make a big fuss about, like Lord of the Rings and the Matrix, and he was just like, "Oh, yeah, that's OK, I didn't really like that anyway."  :wahhh: Needless to say small talk was all that happened that day.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:46:06 AM by cocoyam »