December 11, 2019, 11:09:44 PM

Author Topic: Favourite movies  (Read 15149 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Favourite movies
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
I love rewatching movies I've liked. Presented this way, I guess everyone would agree but what I mean is that I spend more time watching movies I've already seen multiple times than new ones. So I thought I would open this new topic in order not to pollute the other thread too much.

For instance, earlier today, I was thinking about how I had been pleasantly surprised when I watched Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. I loved the way the character was portrayed. He was creepy, repulsive, but also kind of pitiable. I was surprised to find this movie romantic. Also, mentioning Some like it hot earlier made me want to watch it again. I will never get tired of the ending.  :grin:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:31:10 PM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
Re: Favourite movies
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
Oh, man. I have a million "favorites." Speaking of Some Like It Hot, the same director did Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart and William Holden. One of my all-time favorite classics! There was a scene in the film where Bogart's character Linus is phoning into the office to let his secretary know to get him "...two tickets to The Seven Year Itch," which Billy Wilder did go on to direct with Marilyn Monroe the year after. Some Like It Hot came a few years later. That one I've actually never seen, so I might give it a try when I'm in the mood for another comedy. Monroe's not the best actress in the world, but the woman can do comedy.

Of course, I have to mention Breakfast at Tiffany's as well. Damn, George Peppard and Audrey Hepburn were so, so, so good. I don't care if they hated each other's guts offscreen, but the chemistry these two had was explosive. My favorite scene in the film - if I absolutely have to pick one! - is the scene where Paul is trying to type out his story about "a very lovely, very frightened girl...who lived alone, except for a nameless cat,"  but is distracted by someone singing outside. He goes to his window, leans outside, and seeing Holly, smiles sweetly as he listens to her sing.
This scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirBWk-qd9A
(My heart then explodes.)

I also love the scene where Paul confesses to Holly in the library about his feelings, and she acts like he's a total wacko. He looks like he's about to cry, but takes out his fifty dollar check and throws it  - ok, maybe throw isn't the right word - in her face instead. Even though I love Holly, I can clearly hear myself cheering Paul on.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:52:48 PM by Hats »
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »
About Breakfast at Tiffany's, I read the book but didn't see the movie. I heard of it so often I will have to watch it, along with the other movies you mentioned.
Recently, I watched the Philadelphia Story. The dialogues were brilliant. I like Katharine Hepburn.  :ohh:

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:05 AM »
The Tiffany’s movie is definitely not like the book though. Peppard’s Paul is definitely not gay, and Hepburn is obviously not Capote’s idea of Holly.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:30:11 AM »
It might be a good thing it's different. I only read the book once but I was not particularly impressed. I had initially intended to watch the movie afterwards but decided not to bother in the end. I don't even really remember the story. It was not bad, but not for me. However, it might also be due to the fact that I'm not familiar with Capote's works.

Edit: I'm currently watching Sabrina. I like it. The only other movie with Audrey Hepburn that I ever watched was My fair lady, which I didn't particularly like, but this actress is certainly good at comedy. I loved the scene where she was hiding under the car. Though I have to admit I have a soft spot for the french cook. "Break an egg! Crack!" :cheesy:
Still, I like Some like it hot better, but not for Marilyn Monroe. I have nothing against her but it's true she's not the best actress and the character she plays pales in comparison to some the secondary characters. However, she's still an integral part of the success of the movie. She brings glamour, which balances the comedic aspects quite well. But if there hadn't been the other characters, the movie would have been far too cheesy to my taste.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:32:55 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »
My SLIH DVD is definitely hiding somewhere in my closet. Must find it over the Thanksgiving weekend. I'd love to see why you love the movie so much.

Going off on a different tangent, my absolute - hands down - favorite sports film is Fumihiko Sori's Ping Pong (2002). Dude, never has there been another film about a bunch of scrappy-looking adults playing teens sweating over table tennis that has made my heart leap into my throat with as much force as this one! The subtle humor, the kinetic soundtrack from Supercar, Peco and Smile's friendship, and Sam Lee as China! What more could a girl ask for? It's the one film I have forced onto ALL of my unsuspecting friends and acquaintances who come over to spend the night, and despite some initial objections - "Ugh, subtitles?!" and "Where are all the hot guys?" - they've liked it.

I'm so excited to see the tweets from some Heels' readers about the animated version. I had no idea they picked it up to turn into a new series, so I'm pumped up about it. OK, so really derp-looking character design, but Taiyo Matsumoto's story and characters trumps even ugly artwork.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »
Taiyou Matsumoto. I remember watching a movie adapted from one of his series before, Tekkon Kinkreet. It was very good so I'm definitely planning on watching Ping Pong when it comes out. >.< I didn't know it had already been adapted as a live-action. I will try to locate the movie since you say it's good.

I think the reason why I like SLIH so much is that even though it is pure comedy, and very funny, there is also some subtle, and still relevant nowadays, social commentary going on in the background. This is why the movie never gets old. The funniest gags are also the most daring. This movie questions feminity, and gender expectations, with great audacity. Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis are very good in this movie but the one that shines the most is Jack Lemmon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:33:36 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 06:15:10 AM »
DVD is nowhere in sight. Netflix only has SLIH on Netflix DVD, which I do not have. Sucks. Currently I only stream. I'm going to trust your judgement on it and place an order for it on Amazon. They're having a great week of sales deals on DVDS, and I am stocking up like there's no tomorrow. Hoping to get it soon so I can watch it.  :lalalala:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 01:21:40 AM »
Yeah, I noticed Netflix doesn't many older movies. Come to think of it, they don't have that many movies, generally speaking. I hope you won't regret buying the DVD.

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
Today was Mother's Day in the US so my sister-in-law called my mother. That's probably why, as I was preparing to go to bed, I started thinking about the relationship I have with my mother and started feeling blue. We don't exactly have a bad relationship but I don't rely on her for advice and moral support like some people do with their own mother. I wish I could but our personalities are too different. I accepted it long ago so most of the time, I don't care but tonight, for some reason, it left me feeling rather sad. In times like these, when I feel melancholic but not desperate, I usually watch a good comedy, a movie I already know almost by heart, which never fails to lift my mood. This time, it was "Bringing up Baby" (or it would have been if it hadn't been almost midnight already). "Singin' in the rain" also works well on me. It got me wondering: Do the other members of the team also have "comfort movies" or am I the only one who does this?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:59:58 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »
Oh, wow. I have the same kind of relationship with my mom too. I remember in high school when I was being shunned by the "popular girls" at school after they decided I was just not cool enough for their group anymore, and everyone stopped talking to me because they were afraid, I told my mom about it. I'm not sure what I expected. Maybe a sympathetic ear? But what she said instead was, "You must have done something to deserve it." :umm: I think that was probably the last time I went to her for advice.

My comfort movie is Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Music Man. Those two never fail to pick me up...or in Tiffany's case, get me all emotional in a lovely and exhilarating way haha. Ooh, also The Thin Man series because Nick & Nora just have me cracking up so bad.

Singin' in the Rain is definitely a great film to watch when you're down. I haven't seen Bringing Up Baby yet.