August 22, 2019, 05:42:04 PM

Author Topic: Last movies you've seen  (Read 742517 times)

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
Re: Movies you've seen
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
No that was a great translation. Thanks so much! I love the banter these two have, except I never knew what they were going on about until now. All I could siphon out of it was cocaine and hold me lol.
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Hats

• Administrator
Re: Movies you've seen
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
Wish I could change the title to ďLast Movies Youíve SeenĒ and lend the thread some forward momentum. Iíd love to keep track of what things people have watched and when it was they did it.

Last night I was struggling with restlessness. Whenever I get into one of these moods, it lasts for months and nothing ever gets done. After wrapping up the QC for Himawari Story 2, I decided I would unwind with a plate of leek cakes and watch The Scent of Green Papaya, a Vietnamese film shot entirely on a wonderfully-constructed set in France.

Papaya will probably Ė no, most definitely Ė be too slow for the average American viewer, but Iíve yet to meet another film that rivals the purity and tranquility of this one. Perhaps itís the Buddhist elements that pulsate throughout the film as embodied by the servant girl Mui, who is usually seen casting her Buddha-like smile on all the natural things around her, blissfully ignorant of the other elements happening around her.

The most heartbreaking scenes were where the second son sneaks up to his grandmotherís room and overhears her berating his mother over not being able to keep her husband from going to other women, and the scene near the end capturing the violent inner struggle of the young pianist to keep away from going to Muiís room.

For the most part, itís the tranquility that I remember, and the mood is so highly-infectious that Iím still wrapped in it this morning. Maybe Iíll even be able to sit down and finish some scripts tonight.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:44:33 PM by Hats »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Re: Last movies you've seen
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
I've changed the name of the thread but it doesn't reflect everywhere.

I heard of this movie when Norwegian Woods was released, as the director is the same, however I haven't seen it. I liked Norwegian Woods, but not enough to want to watch another movie by the same director. To be fair though, I didn't really like the novel either. But I'm not particularly fond of contemplative movies in the first place.
I remember going to see The New World in the cinema with one of my brothers and almost dying of boredom. About halfway through the movie, we looked at each other and just walked out, although I usually never do that. But it received very high reviews so it's probably just a matter of taste. By the same director, I loved Days of Heaven though. However, even if it is just as gorgeous, it is far less contemplative, so that probably why. But while watching The New World, I got so bored during certain scenes, visually gorgeous but extremely slow, that it was laughable. I remember thinking: "They're looking at each other. They've been looking at each other for five minutes. Oh, now they're walking around each other. Nice. They're holding out their hands. Are they going to touch? Slowly, slowly...". That's when we walked out.

Anyway, I haven't contributed much to this thread because I haven't been able to go the cinema since I arrived here. In France, in town of this size, there would be at least three cinemas showing movies from France and all around the world, and I would go at least once a month. Here, there is only one, it only shows uninteresting american movies and it is expensive.  :wahhh:
To make things worse, my internet connection is very bad and it's been difficult to download movies. After repeatedly trying for about a month, I just finished downloading Only lovers left alive. I still want to download The wind that shakes the barley and The We and the I. But they're all movies I've already seen in the cinema and want to watch again. Usually, when a movie interests me, unless it is old of course, I watch it in the cinema in the best quality possible and if I liked it, download it later. I'm realizing that during my stay in Canada, I will have to change this habit.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:38:15 PM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
I think I meant that it should be more about what we've seen lately whether at home or outside, rather than simply the latest thing we saw when we went to the cinema/theater. I hardly go to the cinema myself because where I live, I'd have to go out to Hollywood to watch certain films, what with the theaters around here only screening blockbusters.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for contemplative films. Judging by your disdain for The New World (which I also coincidentally love) you'd probably be bored as hell with Green Papaya. It's even more slow-paced than Mallick's New World. Norwegian Wood isn't the director's best film though. I would give his films Cyclo or Vertical Ray of the Sun a try, but Norwegian Wood is definitely not his best effort.

I've seen the other films you've mentioned as well. Wind That Shakes the Barley made me head over heels for Cillian Murphy. We do like some similar stuff after all.  :cheesy:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
I think the main reason why I disliked The new world is that I wasn't expecting this kind of movie at all. I didn't know this director and after reading the description, I didn't go into the theater expecting an action movie, but not far from that. As a result, I couldn't get into the movie at all because I kept expecting the pace to pick up and of course, it never did. But in the right mood, it could be an interesting experience. You made me want to try to watch it again. Since I'm in the middle of my midterms, I need to unwind.  :cheesy:

So many interesting movies are currently going out in France, and I will have to wait for their DVD release to watch them, if I don't forget. I'm sure there are good movies shown in Toronto, but it's a one-hour drive. I love cinema, but not enough to do this.  :noway:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:31:18 PM by Minelauva »

Kusa

• Ascended
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Yesterday night my sister and I decided to watch a movie because we got in this outrageously carefree mood (we always struggle with getting schoolwork done, but after it hadn't been panning out for most of the day, we kind of let go and just decided to revel in each other's company). We had a bottle of blood orange Martinelli's to drink with us and it was kind of superb.... After of course, we were plagued by guilt and a sense of anxiety about the work that we had failed to do.

But that's all besides the point, for this post: we watched What if/The F Word, an indie-ish rom com with Harry Potter i.e. Daniel Radcliffe that started out in some film festivals (like Sundance?) and then got into real theaters. It's a simple rom com, I guess, in that it has a typical plot, but the acting is good and the dialogue is witty but also very real, sometimes.. It's got a kind of poignant feel to it, with an emphasis on lovelorn feelings.
 :blush:

If you've ever watched Lost in Translation, it kind of reminds me of that. The ending was more neat and tidy than I wanted, but because the rest of the movie was executed well, I rather liked it. Especially at the beginning, when the two meet, it feels SO REAL and true to life. Daniel Radcliffe does a good job of putting nuance into his character, but in this case, it's not just him but the female lead, too (not that I can bother to look up her name). This is one of those movies that focuses on moments of interaction.
 :eto:

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »
I just got back from a trip to Montreal and Ottawa. In Montreal, I went to the cinema for the first time in months and saw Mommy, by Xavier Dolan. It was an amazing movie, with brilliant dialogs and incredible actors. I can't recommend it enough. I got out of it deeply moved, changed. Even several days later, I still haven't gotten over it. I have only one desire: see it again.
I didn't know this director but I will definitely look into his other movies.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:24:38 AM by Minelauva »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
I'm currently watching "Kings of summer" on Netflix. Despite the fact that I've been interrupting it every ten minutes or so, it's a nice movie. It kind of reminds me of "Moonrise Kingdom", minus the Wes Anderson touch, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Also miraculously available on Netflix, if you have a suscription, is "Camille Rewinds", a french movie that I really like. I must have seen it at least four times by now and it never fails to touch me deeply. Noťmie Lvovsky and Yolande Moreau are such amazing actresses!  :puppyeye:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:23:53 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:16 AM »
Oh, wow, I forgot all about my Netflix account after finishing Gran Hotel s2.  :huh:
I'm definitely going to watch Kings of Summer and Camille Rewinds!

The only two films I saw (thankfully) privately were The Missing Picture, a Cambodian-French documentary filmed by Rithy Phan, and Ilo Ilo by Singaporean director Anthony Wen. I am so glad that I saw The Missing Picture first because the film touched me deep into my very core, and I couldn't stop crying. In high school, for a journalism assignment, I chose to interview someone's parent who had survived the Killing Fields in Cambodia. At the time, Cambodia to me was just a tiny photo of hundreds of decaying skulls stacked up in my world history book. When I met the classmate's father and tried to pry questions out of him, it was he who ended up prying more out of me, and made me take a good look at my outlook in life, especially the life of privilege that I lived.

On the other hand, Ilo Ilo managed to strike a cord with me. I love the relationship between Jiale and his maid from the Phillipines. It's great that they didn't go into theatrics. Everything seemed natural and real to life. The boy who played Jiale was great in his first role. I think there were a few hit-or-miss emotional scenes. Honestly I felt underwhelmed during these moments, but it was an enjoyable film for the most part. Hope to see more great films from Singapore.  :lalalala:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:53:44 AM by Hats »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
I've not been visiting Netflix as often either ever since I finished Gran Hotel. :wahaha:
I started watching Borgia but while it is an interesting and ambitious series, it is not as entertaining as Gran Hotel, so I've been progressing far more slowly. But I would probably never use it to watch movies if my internet connection didn't make it so difficult to download things. I find their selection quite limited but they have some good movies. Yesterday, I watched Wadjda, a movie from Saudi Arabia. It tackles the subject of the feminine condition quite cleverly. It's not overly militant but it does raise some interesting points.
I've heard of Rithy Phan but I haven't watched his documentaries yet. I know I should have. I'm just not particularly fond of this genre.
By the way, has anyone watched Bringing up Baby? I don't watch old movies very often. The only reason I watched this one was because it was highly recommended on a radio show I listened to by chance. But it has become one of my favourite movies. When I feel down, I usually watch it, or Some like it hot, and instantly feel better.

Edit: I'm currently watching Ilo Ilo. It's a nice movie indeed.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:25:01 AM by Minelauva »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 01:53:34 AM »
A few days ago, I watched this movie. I'm not sure of its title in english, I'm not even sure it is available in english, but despite its weird title, it was great. Several people had told me it was good and it really is.

Edit (December 31): Yesterday evening, I went to the cinema watch "Mr Turner". It was great, very beautiful. Some of the scenes looked like paintings, it was impressive. But I'm biased, I love this painter.
When I came back, I watched a part of "Lawrence of Arabia" on TV, before going to bed because it was late. I'll definitely watch it again later though. This movie is superb. It reminded me of this book by Le Clezio, "Desert", that I loved.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:10:42 PM by Minelauva »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
Recently, I watched "The spectacular now". It is a coming-of-age movie. It took me some time to get into it but I ended up really liking it. The main actors were very good, particularly Shailene Woodley. I probably liked it better than Kings of summer, but not quite as much as Mud:ohh:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:28:52 PM by Minelauva »

Hats

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 05:39:33 AM »
I had to end my amazon prime and Netflix accounts because I have to save up for a new pc and car repairs, so now as I have to stick to watching stuff already stored up in my collection to chase away the boredom. Last film I saw was Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. The experience of watching this as an adult approaching 30 as opposed to a teen fresh out of high school is so shockingly different, I feel somewhat disillusioned. There were so many feels back then.

I seriously have to rent the movies you mentioned though! Eurghhh where can I find them??

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
I remember reading Balzac and the little Chinese seamstress when I was in high school but I never watched the movie.

I have to admit that I download most of my movies. I can always send you links in a PM if you're interested. But if you'd rather use a legal way, I perfectly understand. I can't help you though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:40:21 PM by Minelauva »

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »
I went to see Timbuktu last night. It was a great movie, using just the right amount of burlesque to show the stupidity of the djihadists while also provoking horror at their actions. It was very beautifully filmed too.