June 25, 2019, 10:21:04 PM

Author Topic: Six Half (Iketani Rikako)  (Read 16620 times)

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
Six Half (Iketani Rikako)
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »
Is anyone else reading Six Half?
If not, I recommend it. Those who enjoy our projects should like it.  :cheesy:

Spoilers below for those not up to date with Jshoujo scans' releases

However, even if it is a good series, I find it disappointing that the mangaka chose to resort to the classic trope "I'm so tortured because I'm in love with my brother who, what a surprise, is not actually biologically related to me". That's so cliché. And annoying because the story would have been interesting even if Iketani Rikako hadn't chosen to use that plotline. I know stories about forbidden loves are appealing but there's forbidden love and forbidden love... I really wonder what problem shoujo mangakas have with the taboo of incest... :mad:

Okay. What was supposed to be a recommandation turned into a rant. But I really do recommend Six Half though. :D It's still a good series, although my opinion might change later depending on its evolution.

What do you guys think about it?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:50:57 PM by Minelauva »

Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo (ed): ch.5 to be cleaned
Futagashira (ed): ch. 7 to be cleaned
Omi-sensei no binetsu (cl): -
Principal (ed): cleaning ch.26
Teketeke Rendezvous (ed): -

Stiletto

• Administrator
  • Ascended
  • The grass is always greener on the other side
    • Co-founder, Typesetter
Re: Six Half (Iketani Rikako)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »
I would fault her if I didn't already know she wasn't afraid of taboo. She has dealt openly with incest before in You Are Under That Star, exploring the sexual relationship between the characters. I think what she may be trying to do here in Six Half was work within the trope and give another spin on it. I can understand your dissatisfaction though just like you I'm still addicted to it. :blush:
[typesetting]
Otoko no Isshou c11: in progress
Omi-sensei no Binetsu c3: next
Nobody Cry story 2: pending

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:23 PM »
Yes, I get what you mean. I have to admit it's handled quite well (unlike in Unita Yumi's Usagi Drop), even if I have yet to see the originality in her treatment of this plotline. Shiori's amnesia and the way she tries to overcome it seem far more original to me. But the reason why it bothers me so much is probably because it makes the series less psychologically/emotionally realistic in my opinion. I can suspend my disbelief regarding amnesia but not with incest.  :rolling:

Hats

• Administrator
    • Co-Founder, Project Manager, Translator, QC
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
No, no, no. What's even more of a travesty is her artwork! :shaded:
I'm absolutely certain I complained about this before, but she really doesn't draw teenagers well. Her kids are cute,  her babies are even cuter, and her adult characters are gorgeous (depending on how you view her art). But the teenagers have really weird eyes and heads.

But, you see, I love her so much, I'm ready to forgive her for just about anything. So unlike most people, I breathed a sigh of relief hearing that they weren't blood-related. I haven't read up to that part yet, so it was a bit of a spoiler for me, but I'm a little glad. /wipes sweat off brow
In Progress : [Translating]
& Vol.5, ch25-26 TLcheck: in progress
3 AM Terrible Zone Vol.1, ch04-06: in progress
Ane no Kekkon Vol.4,ch19-24: in progress
Futago Vol.1, ch01-05v2, Vol.5, ch25&extras: in progress
Heartbroken Chocolatier Vol.2, ch06: in progress
Love Master X Vol.1, ch03-ch05: in progress
Nina My Love Vol.3, ch.21: in progress
Suppli Vol.1,ch03-06: in progress
Teke Teke Rendezvous Vol.2, ch17: in progress
Toribako House Vol.1, ch08: in progress

Minelauva

• Staff
    • Head Editor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:21:42 AM »
Sorry about the spoiler. To be honest, I wasn't surprised when I found out. The way I saw it, there were only two possible outcomes: either Shiori overcame her unwelcome attraction to her brother, but that's not the direction the series seemed to be taking, or one of them would turn out to be adopted or something similar. Since everything will depend on the way she handles that plotline, I still don't really know what to think of Six Half.

But I can't believe I didn't mention her artwork! That's the first thing I should have thought of, but I got used to it so well it skipped my mind. Unlike you, I don't like her artwork, period. I've seen worst, of course. At least, her proportions are quite right. But her characters look so weird. Maybe teenagers more than the others, indeed, but since her works that I've read feature mainly teenagers, to me, most of her characters are ugly. However, since she's a talented storyteller, I got over it.